HL-2200 poor output above 40m

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W1APE, May 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1APE

W1APE Ham Member QRZ Page

We have an HL-2200 which tunes up fine on 80 and 40m, to about 1kw out with about 55 in. However, once we go to the 20m, 15m or 10m positions, output power is down to 300-400 and drive increase only increases the grid current with no further output. Input SWR is good on these positions. Band switch is good. HV is 3100 on SSB. This is a used buy, it came with no tubes, and I had some that have been sitting for a while and put those in it. I'm thinking the tubes are soft. If anyone else has seen this behavior out of a 220/221/2200 Heath and has any suggestions of anything else to check before ordering up new tubes, I would surely be grateful. Thanks, Joe

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When you tune up on 20m (or 15 or 10m) what are the positions of the PLATE and LOAD capacitors when peaked for max output power?

3. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

How 'original' is the amp? Are the Parasitic Suppressors original?

Dan KI4AX

N2EY likes this.
  4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything like that amp that is built as kit needs to be scrutinized for proper soldering and accuracy and connection quality. That type of scutiny would have to be checked by a trained eye for that amp. Also it’s unlikely that tubes make full power at 80 and 40 and suddenly drop off at 20. So bad tubes is unlikely. Many amps of the 220,221, and 2200 variety have questionable 15 and 10 meter input circuits. 20 meters are usually pretty good.

5. W1APE

Yes, the Parasitic Suppressors are original, I have new ones coming in, nichrome wire with 5w 700vols M.O.F. resistors, the Rick Measures recommended type. Thank you for your response.

Joe

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. W1APE

We have gone through it with a fine tooth comb, several splices were cleaned up, the relay was cleaned, the plate and tune capacitors were removed and thoroughly cleaned, tank coil cleaned, there were some sloppy solder points cleaned up. There was no damage to either the plate or tuning, and other than dust and a good cleaning there's nothing obvious here.

I really don't care too much about 15 or 10 meters, but 20 meters I do like to get on and that is why I'm pursuing this and asking for any suggestions about something that might be obvious to someone other than myself. :)

Joe

7. W1APE

We've had storms here for the last 3 1/2 days, I'll mark these down when we reinsert the tubes and try again hopefully tomorrow or Saturday, thanks for your reply.

Joe

8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I am not mistaken, the HL2200 did not even have a ten meter provision.

I wonder if maybe someone tried to add ten meters to the amp and messed up the fifteen and twenty input networks?

I had a friend (K7BUD SK) who had the HL2200 and he told me about the missing ten meter band, but he never missed it since he stayed mostly on twenty.

I also had a Kenwood TL-922 that was a bear to put on ten because the ten meter coil had been integrated into the fifteen meter coil.

Gotta wonder...

9. W1APE

Yes, you are correct, some owner prior to myself added the 10 meters and it's possible, I don't care about 10 meters or 15 really but 20 I'd like to see working. We're still trying to figure it out, thank you for the reply.

10. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you can show some photos of that tank area? A properly performing 2200 should work rather well on 20. Since the amp came without 10 meters and it has it, that means someone had to modify it. That’s why I say it needs to be checked out for accuracy.

WG7X likes this.