Hilarious Overstatement of Specs.

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WA3LKN, Dec 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm aware of recent posts on this forum regarding the output power of Baofeng HT's and how advertisements may have...well...overstated the power output a bit.

Here's an ad for a different item that I got a good chortle over that takes the cake. See jpgs.

Cell phone charger capacity 900,000mAh. That's 900 Ah. Twice the reserve capacity of the 45 lb SLA battery in in my car.

And it's half as large as a cell phone and only weighs 7.4 oz.

And it's only $8. Free shipping!

1.jpg

2.jpg

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome I'm gonna run 3 in series to power my shack!

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

what's a few extra zeroes? :rolleyes:

4. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Forget the e-bay unit, I think they are using the alternative convention with mAh is _micro_ Amp hour :)

I want LKN's car battery!

-Jon

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also wonder about the claims applied to 18650 batteries. I see crazy numbers attributed to them but have never seen the batts actually live up to it. People are buying them in bulk to build stuff like 'power walls' on the cheap.
    Call me a cynic :)

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The misprint is in the size and weight.

The dimensions shown should be "meters" and not "inches."

The weight shown should be "koz", or kilo-ounces, not "ounces."

With those simple changes and the 900AH rating, it's a steal at eight bucks. But shipping the 463 lb battery isn't really free. And you need a fork lift to unload when they deliver it.:(

7. WW7F

WW7F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a pair of the battery packs with the small solar panel on it. Mine are roughly 10 AH@2.1 A max and think they were marketed by a number of vendors . I am tempted to see if I can somehow run them in series to get 10 VDC or so to run my FT 817 nd even if not quite able to get 5 watts with that amount of current.
    On the back burner for now, ,but I'd love to mod these to use with my FT 817nd or figure something minimal to put them in series without frying the charging circuitry, or be able to do that with the batteries . For now I do not want to butcher them , I got them last Feb and FWIW I got both for $14 and some change . And I DO realize the things use some kind of inverter or such to get 5 VDC from the 3 -3.7vdc they offer. But re those pumped up specs I would bet they WOULD yield 900 amps for a very short time before they exploded, Never know if that was how he determined they would put out 900 amps , IMO kinda like grandad or dad using a jumper cable to spark the family car's battery to see if it has any charge in it :) 73 to everyone ,thanks for the chuckles as well :)!

8. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

The specs only say you can get 2A out of the thing at 5V, so you don't get a lot of power out of the thing...but with that energy density you could get that 10W for a couple of weeks. NASA should be looking at this! :) :)