ad: elecraft

High Power Rocketry with Ham Based Telemetry

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5HZR, Nov 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Should it not be called BOOMER SOONER? What does Norman OK have to do with Canada?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    N5HZR likes this.
  2. N5HZR

N5HZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Boomer...

3. N5HZR

A river runs west of us. (The South Canadian river.)
    The founders wanted to include a wider 'general area' for the club. Although the vast majority of us are from the central Oklahoma area, with Internet exposure, we now have members in Canada!

W1YW likes this.
  4. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Doh, and terminates into Lake Eufala. Did not make the connection.

I use to do a little rocketry in my youthful days. Today I fly RC planes especially 3D planes. Yep I am an Okie. I assume you have to get clearance from the FAA to get all planes out of the area?

N5HZR likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

no, not all at once, over several seconds. (thousands of ms). look at any motor thrust curve here http://www.thrustcurve.org/

for example, how about a C6-5. C means up to 10 newton seconds total thrust, 6 means 6 newtons "average" thrust, 5 second delay for recovery ejection. pop quiz, what's 10ns/6n? almost 2 seconds.

here's the data: http://www.thrustcurve.org/motorsearch.jsp?id=21

N5HZR likes this.
  6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

no we don't, that's part of the fun! duh.

7. N5HZR

Yes, and with all of the flights and airports around here that becomes difficult. Thomas and the group usually launches out of Argonia, KS, or NM.
    The KS site is located at https://kloudbusters.org. They have clearance to 23,000 foot for any flight and can go to 50,000 feet with the proper paperwork.

8. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

That is what I thought. Not sure where the line is anymore, me thinks anything higher than Class 1 rocket, and no guidance, strictly ballistic? As a kid I got to see an Apollo launch when my father took me, and I took my kids to watch Shuttle launch. I don't think anything can compare with an Apollo launch. Literally all 5 of the bodies sensory organs are stimulated. Sight sound, feel, taste, and smell.

N5HZR likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Smell? :)?

Taste:)??

10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Given the propellants used, with the right wind yes, I could definitely imagine a smell, and possibly taste, from the burning exhaust. Even beyond the 3 mile perimeter. Just guessing that was what was meant.

N5HZR likes this.
  11. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Yes Sir, Apollo and Shuttle smell and taste different. Apollo most of us have smelled the same odor at most airports, the aroma of Kerosene (RP-1) burning. The Shuttle with its solid rocket boosters produce an orange smoke that I cannot quite describe of the odor. It taste bitter.

The other strange thing, especially Apollo was you could see and feel sound coming at you in waves, no LSD required. When those Saturn V engines come on there are concussion waves, like you may have seen on stock war film of high explosives when they detonate. You can see sound coming at you and feel it. Loudest thing I have ever heard for extended period of time. Quite impressive to a 12 year old kid.

KA2CZU, N5HZR and W1YW like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The compression waves generate a gradient of density that had a lensing effect. Same idea with mirages on the horizon from hot thermals, but opposite density gradient.

:)

N5HZR likes this.
  13. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

None of that mattered when I was a 12 year old kid. Imagine never seeing or hearing about it, and then watch it come at you. Real scary at first, especially when it blows by you. What was really odd at the time in a 12 year olds eye was you seen the sound before you could hear it. It took a good 15 or seconds between the time the engines fired up before you heard it. First thing you felt was the ground rumbling and shaking, then a great big Boom that lasted at least 20 seconds, then comes the sonic BOOM. then the smoke, smells, and taste mixed with champagne and cigar smoke after lift off. I will never forget it.

Shuttle is impressive, but not quite as much as the Apollo at a younger impressionable age. One of the reasons I learned to fly, and became an engineer.

KA2CZU, N5HZR and W1YW like this.
  14. ZL2SCI

ZL2SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

A non Ham friend of mine approached me about tracking package for his home made Rockets . He's got some big ones as well lol ... so yes will be able to help out on this as well ... With the assistance of bits from Argent Data will be cool to have components flying high all be for a short time .... we quite often have Weather balloons coming down near us as I am situated high up on the Central Plateau NI ZL ...

N5HZR and W1YW like this.
  15. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing. I never have been able to experience a launch in person.

N5HZR and W1YW like this.