Hi Q Antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AD0AR, Aug 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W6TAB

W6TAB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw that you said it was not bonded to the roof but the metal roof may be a benefit your signal. On my car the signal seems to be strongest in the direction of the most metal under the antenna.

I am not sure I want to invest the time to try it on my tile roof but it is tempting.

2. AD0AR

AD0AR Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you already have (8) 102 inch cb antennas and around (16) 2" amidon 43 toroid cores, you be investing a serious amount of cash to make this work. I spent about $350 on the supplemental hardware on top of the cost of the antenna.
    Here's a article that the amateur had issues with metal buildings with a screwdriver antenna. He too also used a counterpoise isolated from the metal motor home to make it work.

https://www.eham.net/articles/41680

Isolation is the trick, my performance is not because of the metal roof, it's the elevated counterpoise.
    There is a drawback- the usable bandwidth is much narrower with a elevated counterpoise so when you qsy, you'll have to retune, but this is all relative to what antenna you have, how long your vertical element is, how tall your vertical mounting pipe is, how high above ground, how good are your common mode chokes, etc.
    All together with the cost of the used antenna, ($348) I think I have around $850 total invested in the hardware including the motor tuning circuit, ground wire, ground rod, tripod, mounting hardware, and lightning arrestor on the coax.
    I figure why install an antenna half ass. Anybody can install something half ass.
    If I am going to say I did something, I'm going all in and make it the best learning experience and reciprocate my knowledge to others to benefit from my 2 years of experiments.
    Also if lightning strikes, I'll more likely be able to walk away from the catastrophe to buy yet another antenna with an intact house.