HF Youth Net Ideas

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3SJQ, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member

Hello all,
    For a long time it has been my goal to setup an HF youth net, where youth can get together and get to know each other. A place for kids and young adults to meet others that are in their age group, and enjoy the same great hobby as they do.

Here are a couple options:
    We meet on Fridays at 9:00pm EDT. on 7.179mhz
    We meet on Fridays at 7:30pm EDT. on 14.347mhz

I would like to call the net, the "Talk to the Future" net.
    Let me know what you think and what works for you. Discussion topics? All feed back is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Best 73 de KB3SJQ
    -Ben

2. 2E0MLJ

2E0MLJ DX Helper/Administrative Assistant

Hey Ben.

Sounds a really good Idea actually. I have just set up a forum for Youth HAMS to meet. It's not active but i'm hoping to get it active and then if we get it active get a custom domain and that lot.

Michael

3. KB3WIH

KB3WIH Ham Member

is there any other options for the day? I have a net on Fri. at
    8:00pm

4. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member

How about during the week?

Unless there's a contest going on, I don't know how many young adults you're going to have around a radio at 9PM on a Friday night :)

5. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

o0 But we are hams. xD Ofc we will be on the radio on a Friday night. Erm..Actually on Friday nights I go out for tapas with the family. QQ Im getting too old to be considered a young adult though. Mid life crisis coming soon!

6. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member

Thank you for the feed back. Please tell me what day(s) and time(s) would work best for you. Then we can find the day and time that works best for everyone.
    Best 73 de KB3SJQ

7. KJ5T

KJ5T Ham Member

Really you aren't going to find a time that works best for everyone. NAYN (North American Youth Net) used to be meet at 2300z on 14.329Mhz every Friday. We never got much interest and the net died. This was due to A) Friday is a bad night for a lot of people due to other obligations and B) We are young hams with little antennas and this was back at the bottom of Cycle 23 and event 20 meters was rough many nights.

I think you might get a good turn out if you put it on a different night BUT be sure to also get on outside of the nets and encourage activity outside of the nets.

8. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member

Thanks Steve. You're absolutely right. I think that maybe Wednesday would be better. How about this:
    We meet Wednesday at 7:30pm EDT on 14.347mhz (20 meters).
    Is this any better? Please let me know.

9. KB3WIH

KB3WIH Ham Member

That is a better idea that would work for me

Pete
    KB3WIH

10. KJ5T

KJ5T Ham Member

I will certainly try to check in for the count if I am around. My work schedule means I am often in the office till late in the evening. I suppose if I spent less time talking on QRZ I might actually be able to leave on time :)

11. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member

Very good. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I've been away. We can start next Wednesday, (April 11th), at 7:30pm EDT on 14.347mhz. Hope to talk to you then!

12. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member

Youth Net tonight at 7:30 EDT
    Please Join me!

13. KJ5T

KJ5T Ham Member

I have been swamped over here -- were you able to get any check-ins to the net?

14. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member

Sadly no. Not a single one. I'm going to try again tomorrow though.

15. KB3WIH

KB3WIH Ham Member

will there be a net tonite? I have the rig all set up.

16. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member

Sorry buddy! I got side tracked and didn't make it. I plan on trying it again next Wednesday though. Hope to catch you then, if not sooner!
    Best 73 de KB3SJQ

17. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member

Going to run the net again tonight at 7:30 EDT on 14.347 (+ or - a few kc's)! Please be sure to check in!
    Best 73 de kb3sjq

18. W7EMI

W7EMI Ham Member

Sounds like a chill idea, I'll be listening for you guys.

19. KD0LOS

KD0LOS Ham Member

maybe start up an echolink one too? theres a lot of young hams on echolink I have talked to before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.