Hf vertical without radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5PNI, Jun 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some no radial antenna work rather well. The 1/2 wave stationmaster CB antenna is one design. No radials, needs to be 1/2 wave off the ground with the feedline running straight down so that the feedline and mast are the other half of the antenna. The problem is, its only going to work on 1 band and to scale it up to lower bands it becomes unwieldy and large. I use a trapped vertical for 20, 15 and 10m with 4 elevated radials. and that fits in a tiny space.

K8XG likes this.
  2. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use, as pictured, two different end-fed antennas grounded to a copper rod driven 10 foot underground.

The wires run across my lot down over a steep hill into some high trees tied off around 40 feet above ground. One is 130 the other 117 feet long. With these end-feds minus radials I work about anything I hear 10 thru 160 which is a hell of a lot. QRPP to QRO.

So much for no radials no work ball busters:p

K8XG likes this.
  3. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

20 YEARS ago I put up two verticals. One an RS-6000 "no radial" vertical that had small radials on it. It was a 21 foot antenna and I mounted it to 20 feet of mast pipe. It has worked real well elevated like that. 20-6.

Back then I had a pool in my postage stamp lot, rear is 65 by 60. Put in the 33 foot MFJ 40/80 vertical that comes with a tip up mount, mounted and grounded to a 8 foot steel 2" pipe sledged into the ground. No real room at the time for radials, so put in 3 , one 17 foot, one 25 foot and one 23 foot to the pool. It worked very well to the south, even though my house blocks 22 feet of it to the south, and to the west, but not much north or northeast. The pool was north east of it.

years later the pool was taken down, and not much of its radiation patterned changed, I had been thinking the pool was making it work well. Few years back I put in 18 33' foot radials in addition to the original 3 that were now well into the ground never to be seen again. Nothing changed. Folks think it was due to the fact my ground is very conductive due to all the pool discharge thru the years. I think if it didn't have the 80 meter coil at the top, the house would be blocking most of its signal to south, where I get my best reports.

End fed wires, using the 9:1 Unun they are working very well in the field for me and at other installations. In most cases the feed line becomes your counter poise using the new 9:1 unun designs. Best working one I put up at a friends farm for him. MyAntenna's 1.5K Unun on the 20 foot mast on his Garage, to a 117' wire to a 30 foot mast in the back 40., then 33 feet of wire on the counterpoise lug to his patio deck ground. Works excellent even 160, its really now an offset feed dipole.

4. KG5PNI

KG5PNI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. It looks like you have them mounted on your ground rod. How high does it go up?

5. KG5PNI

KG5PNI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok. I missed your description of the length. My endfed is not that long. I’m going to try redoing it. I have o6 ft ground rod.

6. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, not mounted on ground rod. Both are fed to a 10 foot ground rod I drove 11 feet deep 30 years ago for a different antenna.

You are seeing the supports which are that way to sway with the high winds I get up here on Highland Ave,
    it's a windy ridge. They go from 8 feet to around 40 feet above ground. They really work amazing well.

I know what a good antenna can do. I belonged to W3KWH for years where they had, at the time, monster
    mono banders up 60 feet on one of the higher points around Pittsburgh. These end-feds don't perform like that
    obviously, but, they work well enough to keep me more than happy. I never wanted a tower and why I was a very
    active CW OP at W3KHW. Now that times have changed, so have I.

K8XG likes this.
  7. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Work the World With Gotham Antennas!"

Give the laws of physics a Bronx cheer by transmitting through a crack in the Space-time continuum

"In QST Since '53"

WA4CZD, K4KYV, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  8. K8XG

I was not even born then, but remember seeing the Ads in the old QSTs and other mags reading older stuff

9. K8XG

I think in the '63-'64 IQSY , Gotham didn't get many sales?

They should call 2018-2019 the new International Quiet Sun Year ;)

10. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A decent HF vertical with no radials is ham radio's "Holy Grail."
    Good luck finding it.

Holy Grail.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    KA4DPO likes this.