Hf vertical without radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5PNI, Jun 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I need to find a good shopping centre that doesn't need money. Or a good car that doesn't need fuel. How about a good job that doesn't require work?

W4NNF, WA5VGO, WQ4G and 2 others like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ever thought about running for president?

K1JFJ, K4KYV and WQ4G like this.
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had very good luck on an earlier version of this antenna - https://www.dxengineering.com/parts...OWVtjmkuOjyFGRNQUBQdDanlObgD3M-BoCo08QAvD_BwE

It's a half wave fed off-center through a matching network. Mine covered 40 and up, and it gathered more than it's share of DX. My only negative was that the mechanical design left something to be desired. The antenna was very flexible, and not all of it's parts were designed for that.

4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you could 'invent' a car that doesn't need fuel--you'd be a billionaire many, many times over, Don.

5. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That doesn't mean they are efficient. I once loaded an aluminum lawn chair sitting on a piece of plywood an worked Mississippi and Alabama from southern California. A substantial amount of power can be dissipated in ground losses, transformers, and feed lines, and still return a good SWR.
    The proximity of the two wires in the photograph is also not conducive to an effective radiator, but under certain conditions almost anything will work, just not great.

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

how about a good find for an antenna that doesnt require feedline? Wireless antenna?

8. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think, with internet remote stations and smartphone apps for hams, we are closing in on the day when
    not only feedlines won't be needed, but radios also will be unnecessary.

And it's a small step further, with CW memories, "voice keyers" and the like that the ham part of ham
    radio can also be put in the compost.

9. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am also into QRPP which is under one watt and get same results with these very inefficient wires. “sarcasm”

At this location I have had many types of antennas up over the last 30 years all erected as per book and specs. These two wires, as that you call them, are just as effective and in fact work better.

N4LQ no dummy in his own right has videos on these antennas and uses them himself. Maybe call both him up and the owner of MyAntennas and make them realize just how ignorant they are.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

sometimes real world experience does not align with theory -- if your end-fed wires with no counterpoise work effectively for you, then great! there is something about your setup that allows them to perform better than a model says it should. That's why I never write off an antenna install / design without trying it first.

K6LPM likes this.