ad: hrd-2

Hf vertical without radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5PNI, Jun 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N9CAV

N9CAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Look into the MFJ 1796 I have had mine for over a year and good results. I have it mounted on a 20 foot mast, no radials required. A balanced dipole vertical antenna. The one I use is 10 to 40 meters with 2 and 6 meter. Tuned fairly easy.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is for a quarter wave vertical. The Solarcon IMax2000 is not in this class.

3. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IMG_1987.JPG

Here are two end-fed antennas with zero radials which can hear and talk to the world. They have been up a while and I have communicated with every corner of earth.

They work without radials and they work well.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Vertical Dipole? Its a thing and it needs no radials and it is as efficient as any other dipole.

K4AGO, KA4DPO and KK5JY like this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

GAP antennas are vertical dipoles so they dont need radials.
    A true vertical needs some sort of radials.

N8ZL, KA4DPO and KC8VWM like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, it's called a vertical dipole. You trade radials for height. E.g., a 40m monopole with radials is ~33 feet high. A 40m vertical dipole requires no radials, and is ~66ft high. And as @VK4HAT points out, the efficiency is roughly the same... it can even be higher for the dipole, since you're moving the high-current point of the antenna away from the ground.

Also take a look at STL antennas. If you really are crunched for space, and are willing to use care to build one that is efficient, you can make STL antennas that will fit in just about any space for any HF band from 40m to 10m. If you are very careful, an STL for 80m isn't difficult either, and can easily compete with loaded verticals on efficiency.

VK4HAT likes this.
  7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Base mounted, ground terminated, vertical loop radiator.

8. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a GAP Voyager vertical. It requires three 25 feet "radials". Is it a great antenna? No. But it actually works pretty well 80-6 meters (with the exception of 17 meters).

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that would be the Challenger.

The Voyager is 160-80-40-20m only and uses longer radials. It's also a pain in the butt to install unless you have three helpers.:p

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It can be if elevated sufficiently high that the earth doesn't cause losses.

Since "earth" is a big load, a real center-fed vertical for HF should have the lower half element shorter than the upper half, and while earth is a huge heatsink and a semi-conductor, it's a lousy conductor.

I'd think an end-fed half-wave with the right matching transformer and a counterpoise should work at least as well as any kind of vertical: Very installation dependent. As you move the current maxima higher above ground, earth losses are reduced.

But "everything works!" -- to some extent. Thanks to FT8, many hams are working the world with practically no antenna at all.

VK4HAT likes this.