HF transceiver suggestion

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K6OFG, Mar 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NW7M

NW7M Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Steve,
    I don't think any [amateur] transceivers will have that wide spec for supply DC voltage, because the final PA is directly connected to DC-in without any voltage transformation and its output [and I believe IMD] will degrade much with dropping voltage. In my case, I was trying to avoid using another battery for some reasons, and the solution was a voltage booster. I'm sure you can find a very efficient one. Mine is 40A rated and it always cold [highly efficient]. It has an issue as well, on some bands you can hear its noise, but it's narrow and floating all the time, so the chance it will really bother you is minimal.
    Alexey / NW7M

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as I keep my battery voltage within spec of the transceiver (13.8V +/- 10%) I'm happy! So is the transceiver.

3. K6OFG

K6OFG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I do have a problem. The Icom is the only radio I have ever used mobile so don't have much else to go on other than watching the internal power meter and reports from other hams.
    Further research in that respect is needed.
    Thanks.
    And my quest continues.
    Steve.

4. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

If you do not have them, a watt meter, dummy load, and a variable mains power supply should be easy to borrow if you have a good group of other hams in your area. If I asked around here, three of four of them would probably not only be willing to let me use their equipment, but would also want to come and help me run the tests.

5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I love Icom radios but they're very voltage dependent, (when you go below 12 volts, don't expect them to work properly) as pointed out. MOst of my friends and myself use Kenwood 480 s in our RVs and don't have any major issues. On the 7155 morning group out of over 30 rvers most all of them are running the 480s, that speak something of that radio.
    I have tried running mfj and other voltage boosters, but sometimes they put out a digital noise.