ad: ProAudio-1

HF STATION SETTINGS CHART TEMPLATE

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AG4ZV, Jul 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AG4ZV

AG4ZV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all! I have been looking for a simple template to record my station settings on each band.
    I havn't been able to find one that meets my needs.

Since I couldn't find one, I created a template in word format for the purpose of recording your HF station settings. (Tuner and Amplifier).

Click the link below to view the template.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2qmgr3s5tsx6z6y/AAD8GibMY5R0HVSYKI655Jo-a?dl=0

Please give feedback as to what you would add or delete.

Thanks,
    Devin - AG4ZV

W4IOA likes this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very handy. It would be nice if you posted the PDF as an upload/attachment so I don't have to log into Dropbox. Cheers! bill

AG4ZV likes this.
  3. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's nice. I will probably print it and begin using it, thanks!

One comment, 60M is not SSB only now.

AG4ZV likes this.
  4. VK8ZWM

VK8ZWM Ham Member QRZ Page

i wonder why the need for an antenna tuner after the linear amplifier with tune and load to tune the amplifier output to the antenna impedance. arent you creating more
    work than you need when changing frequencies and bands???

5. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Those of us with antennas fed with ladder line probably need the tuner after the amp, even if just for the balun.

6. KA0HCP

Yes, the the difference in frequency is less than 1kc. I hope anyone on the band has a better antenna with wider bandwidth than that! :)

7. KA0HCP

Amplifiers generally make poor antenna tuners/matching devices. Not all antenna-feed line systems are designed to have 50 ohm impedance.

AG4ZV likes this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

OH? Ive been using my amps as matching devices for going on 60 years. A pi network is an impedance matching network and the ones in amps usually have a very wide range on 40-10 and fixed load cap values can be changed for 80-160; no other changes needed.

The type of bandswitch as used in my LK-500ZC is common across many brands in the 1200W and up category and by removing a mechanical stop (a screw in mine) two extra positions are available. I now have 160 80 75 40 20 17/15 12/10A 10B on that. Plus an Alpha 76PA, MLA-2500, DTR-2000L, and I replaced the complete switch in a pair of NCL-2000's which also added 160. At the next hamfest I'll be looking for a switch to do similar including adding 160 to a Hunter 2000C. The 76PA is used with the second "modern" station, and the rest are backups and/or used with the vintage hollow state AM and SSB stations in other parts of the basement.
    The switch is the old Centrablab JV-9000 series (owned by Electroswitch since the 90's) and was very common in all sorts of industrial equipment.

I dont own a tuner (I doubt any serious contester does either) and the amps can easily match up to a 5:1 VSWR at full power without the variable caps or switches arcing. Some transformations may not be as easy and/or may be as simple of adding a section of coax to the transmission line; all mine are coax. With a little forethought a balun could be used on the output of the amp or outside at a coax/OWL transition for those who insist on using obsolete OWL:D:rolleyes:

Cheap economy amps with similar grade switches and variables may not be able to handle the VSWR so now the owners have to spend money on a tuner......poetic justice:p

Carl

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work.

For amps contesters and DXers have used index cards behind the knobs with lines and band notations for the knob arrows to point at for many decades. Since antennas often are changed it is easy to make new ones and also for SSB and CW if needed.

10. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Due to space constraints, I have to use a tuner on 160 to get full coverage with a shortened antenna. Lots of other reasons someone may have to use a tuner, too. Not ideal, but reality creeps in. I think the chart is nice just for amplifier settings; I have settings scribbled down but this chart is prettier. :)

AG4ZV likes this.