HF Mobile Antennas, Old Cars and Aesthetics

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5JO, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N5JO

N5JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Alright, I'm a heretic.  I've got an older classic car whose looks I happen to like...alot.  Yet, I would love to tool down the pike operating SSB on 40m.  What are some of your thoughts about lower profile HF mobile antennas and the attendant compromises in performance.  I've never seen this discussed.

Thanks,

Mike---N5JO
    Austin, TX

2. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] Ain't no such thing as a low profile 40m mobile antenna!

The car being a classic, use a period mobile ant. Big cars begg for "bug catcher" antennas. One thing that would spoil the looks of a classic car the fastest would be an ultra modern gee-gaw hangn' on it!

73 de Craig.....KCØGOA

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. K4LIX

K4LIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

COMET made a 40m mobile antenna that looked about like a 1/2 or 5/8 wave 2m antenna. It was the model HA-07 and model FL7HA. I have one on the roof of my Ford van and it works great on 40 and will even load thru the tuner (AT-50) on 80m. Some of the dealers still have them in stock. They also made an 80m version the same size.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I had a Classic (I don't, but I did, once), I would not even consider defacing it with a magnetic mount, trunk-lip mount, etc -- these things can cause scratches, mar paint finishes, and so forth.

However, what I would probably do instead is bolt-on or weld on something totally "hidden" to mount a removable whip antenna in such a way that no part of the mount, the coax or the antenna could possibly touch the paint finish or chrome. One idea that springs to mind is a bolt-on or welded-on light-duty trailer hitch/receiver tube, connected to the chassis and not the sheet metal. That way, everything's "underneath" the car and not visible at all unless you crawl under it, and you have a sturdy, well-grounded antenna mount for a 40m whip antenna such as a Hustler, Hamstick, BugCatcher, Screwdriver or any number of possibilities.

WB2WIK/6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.