HF Interop Exercise Links Hams Worldwide

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Oct 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6DRS

K6DRS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had stellar results using a Codan 9350 auto-tuning whip on my truck, and made numerous coast-to-coast ALE and SELCALL contacts. It also works great local using NVIS propagation. There are plenty of alternatives that work well too. Look at the other offerings from Codan, Icom, Hi-Q Antennas, etc. These antennas generally tune to an "average" frequency within the scan set and turn on a low-noise preamp to further improve RX performance. For TX they generally take only a few seconds to tune (and it is fully automated).

Mobile ALE not only works, it works VERY well.
    --
    Regards, Devin

JH1ESB and KQ6XA like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Then this qualifies as an amateur ALE mobile antenna solution :D

[​IMG]

3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

HF mobile can be challenging whether it is a traditional slow-VFO operation or a fast frequency agile system.
    If you put your system together with the right gear , good engineering principles, and solid installation techniques... it usually works well on the air.

ALE and Selcall ham operators have been running HF mobile with great success for about two decades now :)

Scanning ALE and Selcall HF mobiles mostly use one of the following systems:
    • Autotuner (ATU) with whip
    • Autotuning antenna with fast moving-coil (variable coil)
    • Autotuning antenna with fast coil slider tap (screwdriver)
    • Autotuning loop or half-loop
    Commercial HF land mobile gear is available for all these autotuning systems, and some ham gear can be modified or adapted for it.

A non-scanning (manual frequency selection) ALE or Selcall HF mobile strategy can use manually-tuned or slowly-tuned antennas.

For base, portable, and mobile, here's a pie chart of the variety of popular antennas utilized by ham operators for ALE.

[​IMG]

Here's a more detailed pie chart of Types of ALE antenna systems used by HFLINK members:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    JH1ESB, K6DRS and N0TZU like this.
  4. VA7UW

VA7UW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Broadband Terminated Butterfly antenna myself, slightly modified for use on a sailboat, running up my mizzen mast. It works wonderfully! I've even worked New Zealand from Vancouver Island Canada on 20m SSB, with 25 Watts! I get a 2:1 SWR at the worst, but across the whole spectrum is typically 1.5 Schematics available on http://hflink.com/antenna/

KQ6XA likes this.
  5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

http://hflink.com/antenna/#BBTD

[​IMG]
    BBTD Antenna, Delta Wing version.

[​IMG]
    BBTD Antenna. Bow Tie Configuration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BBTD Antenna. Pyramid version.