HF Interferrence ?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by KC3DBO, Feb 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3DBO

KC3DBO Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be using my HF rig first time this camping season in my travel trailer. We go to campgrounds mostly for the women sake. Was wondering if anyone has had much problems with causing interference to other campers TV's since they use a Antenna verses cable. I am using a Yeasu 450D at 100 watts and a Alpha match vertical antenna . thanks

2. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

No interference to other campers that we're aware of but, in our coach there are horrendous levels of RFI from both the switching power converter and the MPPT solar controller. It's so bad I open the breakers on both units when I'm operating. Outside of the RV within about 6-10 feet the RFI level is not that bad.

Run 5-100W into a home brew 25' multiband vertical attached to the ladder.

KJ6NQW and KC3DBO like this.
  3. KC3DBO

Thanks I use a Power Worx switching power supply well in the go box I will run right from the hookup to power supply and bypass Trailer. will be outside when on any way so the Wife and Daughter don't complain lol

K7WFM likes this.
  4. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I too run the FT-450 at power levels up to 100 watts and have never had anyone complain when I worked from a campground. The state parks and COE campgrounds I typically go to have widely spaced sites. When I boondock it is no problem at all since there is no one close by.

Lathrop SP Colorado portable-2.JPG

John WD5IKX

K0PIR, KY5U, K7WFM and 1 other person like this.
  5. KC3DBO

I thought I replied a while back to your comment sorry . Thanks I was concerned I would cause interference to those using a TV antenna

6. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

The Worst thing is all the solar power controllor, inverter supplies amd s8me LED lights at the RV parks that will be interfering with you.

KJ6NQW and K7WFM like this.
  7. G1LBM

G1LBM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use ft-450d with a 23mtr end fed wire with a 9-1 balun with 20 mts of r100 coax for the feeder, from our Winnebago Chieftain 1989 we live full time in Spain, on a large camp site with no problems.

Cliff
    G1LBM

N5PZJ likes this.
  8. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Those problems all but went away when broadcast TV went from analog to digital.

WB5PDZ likes this.
  9. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I run a 450D with an ALS-600 amp (sometimes) to a Tarheel mounted on the truck next to the fifth wheel. I live in an RV resort north of Tampa. I have no issues at all with off-air, cable in park or WiFi in the park that I am aware of. My house is 100% "clean". Was expecting to have RFI issues from converters and other miscellaneous nearby stuff, including nearby power line primaries, but mostly the HF bands are quiet as a mouse, save the normal atmospheric junk. You should be fine!

10. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

hi i use 706 on dipole off pole put up on ladder on my 5er pole 18ft the dipole is 4to1 then 25ft 4oo ladder to 52 /14g wire run 100 watts no one has coplained of tv int. not even my wife .some fr noise from older flat tvs and cheap power supplies .but i have done good contacts from edna texas around the world on that dipole will tune on everything but 160 tuner victronics 300 watt tuner .