ad: MultusSDR-1

HF Install in 2016 Nissan Rogue

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by VE3YF, Mar 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. VE3YF

VE3YF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi:

I would like to hear from anyone who has completed a good HF installation on their Rogue. I would like to install a Lil Tarheel ll on my vehicle.

The problem I see in my situation is that I have both a Sunroof and Moonroof and I thought about drilling a hole the roof and install one of the Breedlove mounts. The problem is that the motorized inside cover for the Sunroof and Moonroof slides pretty much to the rear of the roof and it would bind on the Breedlove mount.

Now from reading using a trailer hitch mount is the worst case scenario. I have been thinking of using one of the Diamond mounts on the rear crossbar but not sure if that type of mount would be sufficient in supporting the Tarheel. The other thought came to mind was using one of those Triple Magnets on the roof where there is metal and also run a ground strap from the magnet mount to the side rails of the roof rack and find a screw that actually will provide a ground.

Short of mounting the screwdriver on the engine hood, which I don't really want to do and the same as drilling a hole in the side of the vehicle and mounting the screwdriver on the side, does anyone have a location that they have used and had success.

I am not really interested in getting on the DXCC list from the mobile at this time so long range comms is not a big priority, just something that will work on the continent.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx

73 De Mike
    VE3YF

2. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I would use a Breedlove ball mount to put the Little Tarheel II as high as possible in the pictured location. You would need to take a look behind the interior trim to make sure there is nothing in the way. In that location you would have some metal below the antenna and it would be on the driver side so less likely to hit trees and bushes along the roadside. Use the 56" whip for better performance.

Rogue-ant.jpg

John WD5IKX

K0PIR, K4AGO, WA8FOZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. VE3YF

Hi John:

I didn't want to really go the route that you describe, but the more I think about it, if I wan't to have somewhat of a decent signals I might just have to do that. I have to wait a bit longer to take off the interior trim as it is still cold up here and don't want to crack anything. Also good suggestion as to keep it on the drivers side to avoid trees and unwanted pedestrians playing around.

73 De Mike
    VE3YF

4. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

834B6405-6DAA-476D-BB44-CC4BBFB4651C.jpeg
    I agree with John.

This is what I have done with three Nissan cars. The Breedlove base plate is visible if you look closely. It will provide adequate support for a small antenna such as the little Tar Heel. Anything bigger will require some reinforcement of the quarter panel from inside. The last time I did this a body shop did it for me very cheap. They welded a bit of 1/8” plate inside under the antenna mount. This is by far the best alternative if you want to get out well.
    Good luck and have fun.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    WD5IKX likes this.
  5. VE3YF

Bill:

Thanks for the info. I take it you used one of the Breedlove mounts with a backing plate. I see Breedlove sell mounts without the backing plate, but having the backing plate offers more support. I am leaning towards the Breedlove mount as I think in the long run the Magnet Mount would cause me more problems of scratching etc, and from what I have read, they are not the ideal mounting system for HF Antennae. I just have to wait until it gets warmer and I can take off the interior panel. Good thing in my case, the neck of the gas tank is on the other side of the vehicle.

73 De Mike
    VE3YF

6. WA8FOZ

Hello Mike:

I am very positive about Breedlove, both his products and customer service. I very strongly recommend the backing plate, even for a smaller antenna. The sheet metal in today’s cars is much lighter than in the old days!

Your perception about mag mounts is the same as mine. The rf performance is not even close to that of a drilled mount, and common mode current and resultant RFI are much worse. Plus when I went to the Breedlove mount, it took me less time to install it than it took to buff out and repolish the scratches on my trunk from the truck-mag mount!

HF mobile is a blast if you make the commitment to do it right. K0BG.com says it all.

K4AGO likes this.
  7. VE3YF

Hi Bill & John:

I have been doing quite a bit of thinking about this matter and just about to change my plans. I will go with the Breedlove mount, 4 1/2" with backing plate. I like John's location for the mount as in the picture above, I just have to be sure that everything is ok behind the cargo area panel. I was thinking of going to a Tarheel 300, but the added performance would probably do me no good, so I will stick with the Tarheel 2. Yes I have been doing lots of reading on K0BG's website and it seems to be the number 1 site to be getting info for HF Mobiling. Thanks for all the input.

73 De Mike
    VE3YF

WD5IKX and W5PFG like this.
  8. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

What did you figure out?????

9. VE3YF

Hi John:

I am going with the mount located as in the above picture of the Rogue. I have the Breedlove mount, just waiting for the Lil Tarheel to arrive and plus nice weather. I will take the car to a shop where I will get them to drill all the holes (under my supervision) and to make sure all goes ok. I think due to the metal in that area is flimsy, I might have to have some kind of bracing to re-inforce the whole setup, maybe something like 1/8" plate under the backing plate to give it more strength. I have yet to take off the interior molding in the cargo area, I will get the shop to do that and then I can have a good look on where the mount will actually be placed. FWIW, I went with the mount that is 4 1/2".

If someone has added more bracing I would sure like to see what they have come up with, as there are several ways to go, but without seeing something already in place, tough to make a decision on which method is better.

The rest of the installation has been completed, ie radio installed and same with the power etc.

73 De Mike
    VE3YF

10. WA8FOZ

Congrats, Mike. I have a hunch that with the Little Tarheel, you may not need any more reinforcement than what you will get with the backing plate. I needed an additional reinforcing plate for my monster. YMMV.

Ground the tail[pipes, hood, hatch, and doors for improved image plane and some additional RFI suppression. Maybe you'll need some ferrites around the leads of some of the computers. My new car (Nissan Infiniti) has steer-by-wire, so I had to put some of those in various places. YMMV.

You are going to have a lot of fun!