ad: ProAudio-1

HF found useful

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W1CTC, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1CTC

W1CTC Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to be, none of the comments were very kind.

3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How odd that the military seems to be describing this as something new...

4. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

What was old is new again. There is a renewed interest in HF by the military due to the prospect of fighting in satellite-denied areas. The Russians and and the Chinese have both either tested or fielded technology to go after our dependence on satellites for C3I.

And of course Harris wants to sell the military a whole new generation of HF radios, so they have developed a new wide band rig that is optimized for pushing data.

KL4IU likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems likely that this equipment is what they were testing, without actually saying so.

6. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I recall Guam is usually part of the military cross band test.

7. KM4DYX

Probably. Keep in mind that, with the rate of turnover of personnel, the military has very few experienced HF communicators compared to days of old. Reinventing the HF wheel will take time.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Exactly! Factor in the average age group (young!) of the military folks working on this. HF is probably VERY new to the vast majority of them.

Dave
    W7UUU

KK5JY likes this.
  9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And, ironically Navy-MarineCorp MARS was shuttered at the end of 2015.

10. KM4DYX

Don't be shocked if it gets cranked up again. Its how USGOV does business (and I mean business - $$$$). Back in the bad old days of the Cold War the largest PX in Germany was at Robinson Barracks, Stuttgart. When the wall came down there was a giant sucking sound as the troops were withdrawn from Europe. The PX at RB was bulldozed. A few years later millions of dollars were spent to build PXs in the Stuttgart area.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent to remodel housing AFTER the Air Force pulled out of San Vito, Italy. Then the housing was used for MOUT training and trashed.

Everything in the USA is a racket, my friend. Everything.

11. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

An obscure H. Ross Perot reference. Love it! :)

12. KM4DYX

Yeah, dated myself a bit there.

N2SUB likes this.
  13. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Geeze. It's a good thing we had underwater cable back in the 1960s/70s when I was in the Navy so we could pull into a port and call back home for more rum and cannon balls. I guess the Navy wasted two years of sending me to a year of advanced Electronics Technician Communications (ETN) school at Treasure Island, CA, and then another year of advanced electronics "C" schools on the East Coast. Oh well, at least in bad weather we could use those space warming URC-32s, and all those R-1051s to keep from sending the poor signalmen out to send semaphores or flap the flapper on the big lights.

Former CTM-1
    K8KJG

W9FTV likes this.
  14. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed...the old Signal Corps is now the Signal Corpse. :( Very sad.

15. KM4DYX

This will cheer you up:

signal_corps.jpg

Attached Files: