ad: elecraft

HF Doppler RADAR Signal Examination

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA0KA, Feb 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Friends:
    In this first video of a series on HF RADAR, a basic demonstration is shown of the components that make up a rather interesting Doppler HF RADAR signal. Pulse Profiling along with the coarse and fine structures are viewed using a spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope with software defined radio Anan 8000DLE for analysis!
    This is part of a multi-series video presentation on HF RADAR signals and classification. In additional samples, I will show over the horizon (and other) FMOP, FMCW signatures from around the world.
    These can be viewed on my youtube channel pending post editing, they are quite fascinating and are uploaded regularly. I felt the video demonstrated a lot of great concepts to share with others, considerable effort went into the creation of these videos.
    All samples are filmed in 1080HD
    , best viewed at 720 or higher if your PC can handle this.
    Enjoy, Tyler KA0KA

K9EZ, AB3ZI, K5BM and 6 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tyler, could you kindly provide one or two links, here, to help some of us understand what 'HF radar' is about--today.

For many folks, when you say 'HF RADAR', they can only think of the Duga from the Soviet Union ('Woodpecker')...

Chip W1YW

WA1ZMS likes this.
  3. KA0KA

Hi Chip:
    In my youtube descriptions, I provide a much more textual description. So, for example the video uploaded recently there has a lot of information regarding what its 'domestic' purposes are for example if you check it out. So, depending on the video each has a different description. 29B6 has replaced the Woodpecker, I have videos of FMOP signatures that are 50kC in width and FMCW 50kC in width that are over the horizon RADAR just more advanced ranging capabilities then the old Woodpecker. Very interesting. Unfortunately, 'no one' is putting a CW ID on some of these (exuding the 25kHz CODAR video) you can watch on my channel that did have some kind of CW ID in it... Really neat program, but the over the horizon signatures are still in use on 5-19 MHz as you will see.
    Those GVT agencies will not publish any info on them, so I took it upon my self to collect as much data as possible for just that reason. I know you can understand what I am describing.
    I was actually awaiting a reply from you, with odds like that I should get a lottery ticket hihi... I am editing my next video now and will be posting tonight on the channel... this is where they will live, they take a very long time to edit though, so I can only do final editing on one or two a day...it took MONTHS of prep work for them!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOPyqu-ly3yAWd5BQn2Sojg
    Thanks,
    ~Tyler, KA0KA

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    KA0HCP likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tyler,

You did a great job; the problem is that some folks might like some more, additional, basic radar background:)

Radar is an essential technology about to hit a second wind, and if videos like yours inspire others to hop on that bandwagon, more power to ya!

Chip W1YW

KA0KA likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, active use of ham bands introduces clutter on the radar, so..... Ham it up!

Keep the OTHR off the ham bands!

KX4BW, WA8FOZ, VK2CV and 1 other person like this.
  6. KA0KA

Thanks Chip:
    Much appreciated. Again, I am doing my best to provide as much data as possible to a very 'under the RADAR' topic, heck some of the videos I will be uploading are relics of the cold war, 'Number Stations' active EVERY DAY and other odd signals... There are about 8 videos I will be uploading on the HF RADAR however, about 100 on other signals...
    Having the setup and tooling to be able to make these kinds of videos is invaluable, but time consuming -I am 38 and have two jobs so...
    The HF OTH types are very interesting, but no way to ID where they come from, you can only talk about what they are 'technically' and inform others on the basics of HF RADAR technology, video seems to be a great way to share a lot of info in 5 mins. I learned a ton making the video! You probably forgot more then I ever knew. I guess that is what this hobby is about!
    Thanks again Chip!!!

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger OM!

Radar ain't dead yet (as a technology), and hams can play a role...and are doing so;-)

We should embarrass, decry, clutter, and unveil, all the OTHR on the ham bands!

Of course, good radar stuff happens to....but NOT ON HAM BANDS as interference...

To wit:

https://www.apnews.com/173fab3f0f584bef87bfd751da55ffdb

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

K9CTB likes this.
  9. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,one thing is for sure...…….I'm NOT a king!

W1YW likes this.
  10. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is fascinating and enlightening... thank you for putting these videos together Tyler. Looking forward to more.... the geek/nerd/engineer in me is drooling... LOL

KA0KA likes this.
  11. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W1YW likes this.
  12. KA0KA

I just spent 4 hrs of post editing on the next upload -now up, should not take that long but these sweeps were frequency hopping and hard to film. I had 48 mins, 3 videos I edited down to just under 6 mins! It was uploaded this morning! Should have about 8 or so on the RADAR signatures...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOPyqu-ly3yAWd5BQn2Sojg

W1YW likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There's an important point here that some may miss--

Tyler is showing you various OTHR radar signatures. I believe almost all the EXAMPLES he shows are legit, and not in the ham bands.

The point is the HF hams bands are increasingly and ILLEGALLY being invaded by --some--OTHR--almost all exclusively for (non-US) military purposes.

Tyler's tutorials let you recognize various OTHR waveforms and signatures, which will make it easier for us to find and reveal these ILLEGAL OTHR systems on the ham bands.

http://www.arrl.org/news/over-the-horizon-radars-becoming-routine-visitors-on-amateur-hf-bands

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    KA0KA likes this.
  14. N1SZ

N1SZ QRZ Lifetime Member #233 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Tyler,

I believe that this video is mislabeled. You define it as a CODAR (for sensing ocean currents) where its operational characteristics (PRI/PRF) and frequency agility are identical to the U.S. AN/TPS-71 R-OTHR system. CODAR tends not to "hop" around in frequency. A listing of CODAR sites and frequencies can be found here: http://cordc.ucsd.edu/projects/mapping/maps/

See AN/TPS-71 (towards the bottom of the page) - http://www.signals.taunus.de/TABLES/ALE.HTML

Other HF radar waveforms and audio can be found here: https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Category:Radar

Jim, N1SZ

WA1ZMS and W1YW like this.
  15. YV5KG

YV5KG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tyler.

Very nice video of HF dopper, very good to explain to students in the classrooms.

KA0KA likes this.