ad: dxeng

HF/6m Base Station

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K2CLH, Oct 22, 2011.

Which radio is best for a base station and also best for it's price?

1. TS-480SAT

2. TS-570S

3. TS-570S(G)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K2CLH

K2CLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello from K2CLH! I posted a thread asking what HF/6m base station is best under $1200. I have narrowed it to the three on the poll. I would also like you to reply please and tell me the difference between the S and S(G) version.

73 thanks,
  2. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

So it sounds like if you want the added CW filtering, the SG is the way to go.

I haven't used the 480SAT, but I have used the 570S for several years as a Field Day rig on 20, 40 and 15 meters phone. No complaints :)
  3. KA4EET

KA4EET Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the TS 570S and have used it many times on 6 meters. I bought this rig used two years ago for $650. I will sell it when I buy my new TS 590S. All around great radio. I have made decent 6 meter contacts using my 17 meter rotatable dipole (Without a tuner).
  4. K2CLH

K2CLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok thanks! I couldn't find any reference to the difference but now I see. I don't use CW so it doesn't matter so I think the S would be fine!
  5. NO2A

NO2A Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the `570SG. I`ve had it since new and there is one problem I`ve found. It has a noisey front end,even with no antenna connected. Lots of "white noise". The dealer I bought it from agrees with this. I do like the dsp,it`s very effective. The antenna tuner is fine as well. Very user friendly quick memories are handy as well as other front panel controls. The digital filters are great also.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

You can find a used low band VHF Mortorola Maxtrac or even a CDM750 for a lot less,
    They run 60W, 16 programmable frequencies and a terriffic reciever !
    A lot better than using an HF all mode rig that has 6M FM added as an afterthought
    You will probably have a dedicated vertical antenna for 6M FM anyway, an "allband " HF dipole will not work well for 6M FM use !!!
  7. KG4NEL

Just from my experiences with HF plus VHF and beyond rigs (IC-746, 706 series, FT-847, etc), the 100W 6M sections do very well with FM...and have SSB capability, something a Maxtrac won't be able to do, and IMHO is where the real fun on six happens :)
  8. W5DOH

W5DOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Since the question did not give suitable multiple answers I write here in this post:
    For HF I have a Swan350 and a Alinco DX-70 TH of late I have been using the DX-70 since doing some preventive maintenance on the Swan 350, I like Six Meter and Ten Meter HF mostly sideband for DXing.
    The Alinco is near a Icom 706 without VHF/UHF and the Alinco is all mode.
  9. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

None of the above! Your best bet would be a Yaesu FT-847 HF-VHF/UHF + satellite rig ever built still one of the best VHF weak signal radios I use mine for SSB/Digital/EME my main HF/6m rig is a FTDX5000MP unmatched.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  10. WD4CHP

WD4CHP Ham Member QRZ Page

I dumped Kenwood a long time ago.

I use an Icom IC-746PRO base and an ICOM IC 706 MKIIG mobile.
  11. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Save up a little more and go for the TS-590 it would be new, and should stay in production for 8 to 10 years. There is nothing like having a new current production radio.
  12. KG4NEL

While that's the route I'm going for my 144MHz+ rig in the future (had one a few years ago, shouldn't have sold it)...I can understand if that's too much VHF/UHF capability for someone else :)
  13. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sold my 570SG a bout 3 years ago to a guy in OH who wanted it for 6M. Since I was getting a Pro II this worked well. The SG has great audio and does very well on 6M .. as well as the other HF bands. Worth it in my opinion ... Kenwood audio is superb to Icom .. liked the menu setup on the 570SG also.
  14. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of those choices I'd go for the 480SAT. I've used the 570s and the 480s. The 480 is better.

But if I could forgo 6m and focus only on HF, I wouldn't pick any of these.:eek:

A used TS-830S or FT-102, or an IC-751A, all of which would cost less than a "new" rig listed there, will outperform any of them. So would a TS-850SAT or IC-765, and they are also cheaper than a "new" one of the rigs listed. For SSB-CW and HF only, a 32 year-old TR-7/RV-7/PS-7 will outperform them all (but it's not good on AM).

And yep, I've had all of those. I still have my original TR-7 station and TS-850SAT although I also have two modern Ten Tecs and some other stuff. It's easy to sell the dogs but very hard to sell the good stuff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.