ad: ProAudio-1

Hey Girls Please Post - What got you into amateur radio?

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by K3JEN, Nov 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. MI0YLT

MI0YLT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi yeah Connie, was really great hearing about what got you interested in ham radio

Although poor wee putty cat ahhh

Just thinking if your using a dipole, hope your using the right dogbones hehee

Sorry couldn't resist it

Have tried Morse but it's just not for me, my sister Grace is good at it

Hopefully some day we can talk on the air Summer.

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

We did have to protect the cat from getting wedged in narrow places.

Their whiskers help the cat determine they can wiggle through a narrow place.

I was so determined to get a crystal radio set, when I got a book about growing crystals and crystal growth I grew some single crystals described in the book. I had read about piezoelectric effect (5th grade elementary school) but I didn't see how I could get a crystal radio set with the crystals I had.

I wrote to the author, who worked at Bell Laboratories. He sent me a photo of a huge crystal.

I thought, maybe this is not going to work out for me.

The Puget Sound Navy Shipyard surplus sales encouraged me at bit, however the stuff set aside for me did not lend itself to a radio concept I could figure out. I got a nice design for an oscilloscope out of it. I asked if I could get in metal shop (high school) to make the required hole in the sheet metal. The answer was, No.

Me?

I wanted DX.

The saga continued. Morse Code was required for the General Class license.

In point of fact, when I did find out about availability of exams it was Morse Code that kept me back.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019