Hey Girls Please Post - What got you into amateur radio?

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by K3JEN, Nov 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. VE5YAK

VE5YAK Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Evening from a new Canadian amateur here :) just qualified last night Basic with Honours which allows me all of HF. Started looking into Amateur Radio after reading the Hetta Coffey mystery series by Jinx Schwartz. Hetta is a yacht owner who hangs out mostly in the Sea of Cortez in Mexico and uses the radio waves to keep in touch with weather nets (and keep out of trouble!).

Anyhow, my reading and asking questions got the OM interested; he qualified B&H about 2yrs ago. Our oldest son and I started studying summer of 2015 and quit part way through. Last fall, a local Radio Club offered weekly classes at the library, either in person or via google classroom video feed. I pushed through the course and wrote last night, but another couple weeks and the 15yo will be ready to write.

We have a 80m horizontal loop about 30ft up at the feed line; running a TS590SG. During the summer months at the lake, we operate mobile using a TS480SAT into a dipole.

No desire to learn CW here, but I guess never say never....who knows what the future will bring!

73.....VE5YAK

(that's me and my 'yak on the South Saskatchewan River last August)

KG5PJG, K0DD and N6QIC like this.
  2. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you like to kayak and camp in the wilderness, CW is worth learning. It's much easier to make QSOs with QRP power and a small, lightweight rig/battery if you can use CW instead of phone.

3. VE5YAK

VE5YAK Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Was gifted a straight key from a local ham ... perhaps next winter when life slows down I'll start studying more consistently. We camp with solar power, to some that's wilderness LOL does that count?

KG5PJG likes this.
  4. F4WBW

F4WBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, we've got a solar panel powering part of our shack set-up (basically running our digital set-up and the raspberries that run it). We've run it all from the back of DH's van for a ham barbecue (a sort of unofficial "field day" here).