Hey Girls Please Post - What got you into amateur radio?

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by K3JEN, Nov 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4ACJ

KN4ACJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, brand new ham here.

I'd been listening to shortwave all my life - I have fond memories from childhood of listening with my grandpa to stations around the world, and being completely fascinated with the possibilities. I took that interest with me into adulthood, despite not choosing a STEM path for myself. I am an artist by trade, but I have worked with electronics and computer networking in the past, so I'm not totally green on electronics.

Fast forward a number of years, and here I am, early middle age, and just got done with a handful of other big projects I'd been working on. My beloved husband knew I was always into radio, and I'd mentioned "maybe someday I'll get my license" to him on more than one occasion.

This past Yule, he bought me a Baofeng UV-5R, and with that in my hand, I was able to start digging in. Got a copy of the book and a month later, took the test, so here I am.

MI0YLT, 2I0GYL, N6QIC and 1 other person like this.
  2. KK4VLR

KK4VLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago when young and newly married, I had a boarder in my home who had a boat anchor HF radio that was fascinating when he demonstrated it to me. He tried to teach me Morse code so I could be licensed, but I didn't master it and we had to move away when the economy went bad in our area that year.

A few years ago at church, I heard a Boy Scout tell his mom there was no longer a Morse code requirement. I found out the Church was offering a free class coming up the next Saturday. I wanted to be better prepared for emergencies so I strolled into the class and didn't realize it was really a hamcram with a test at the end. I had not been told I was supposed to read the Gordon West book and study before this class. I passed by one questionjust from that review without reading the book (due to some background in CB radio as a kid and having built computers to save money when they were far more expensive than they are now.)

Allison in Atlanta
    KK4VLR

MI0YLT, 2I0GYL and N6QIC like this.
  3. KG5PJG

KG5PJG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, Jen, Thanks for starting this thread.
    My OM and I married 41 years ago. He earned his novice in 1961, as an 11-year-old, and has worked CW ever since. All our life together, he asked me to earn my ticket, but it just seemed too hard, too foreign a subject for my artistic soul. Just no interest. BUT we always discussed his cool contacts. I always wanted to hear about those. AND, he never stopped asking... FINALLY, I decided that there was no harm in giving him something that he's requested for 40+ years. I studied, and studied... and believe me, with no background in electronics, it was tough... and passed my Tech exam in Sept 2016. They say a good way to strengthen you mental faculties if to learn material that is challenging to you. I'm very pleased that I accomplished that. In Jan 2017, I upgraded to General, because I REALLY wanted on HF. Hahaha. Trust me, last summer when prepping for the Tech exam I almost gave up more than once.
    In short, I tested for the Tech because my OM asked me to. BUT I upgraded to General because I wanted the HF BANDS. Now, I love working pileups, and I'm working on my WAS. He's building new antennas for me, and sharing his station while we put mine together. It's a great thing to share the hobby with your OM. Don't know why I waited so long.

MI0YLT, 2I0GYL and N6QIC like this.
  4. MI6PYL

MI6PYL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi I am 10 years old, my name is Savannah my father has the ham licence and my 2 sisters Summer and Grace are both licenced
    so ham radio is always on in house and cars so although only licenced I have grew up with it all my life and have talked to loads of hams using greetings messages from the age of 4!

MI0YLT, N5WVR, N6QIC and 1 other person like this.
  5. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

My father was an electronics technician, and he had a little radio and TV repair business on the side in a shop behind our house. That meant that I grew up surrounded by voltmeters, oscilloscopes, signal generators, signal tracers, tube testers, and miscellaneous piles of parts. (This was back in the day when techs did component-level troubleshooting and repair, before everything moved to the board level and finally to disposable equipment.)

Dad was not a ham. His real interests were fine wood-working and flying. But it gave me a lot of exposure to electronics from an early age.

I was interested in ham radio from an early age, but didn't have the opportunity to get my license until I was out of college. So in 1991 I became a Technician Plus, and later upgraded to Extra. After years of living in apartments and trying to make do, my husband and I moved to Vermont and now live on 2 acres with antennas all over the place.

We're backward from the normal ham radio couple. I'm the serious ham; he got his Tech and later General because I suggested it, but he mostly talks to me and other local hams on the repeaters. I've gradually built up a nice HF system, and use it when I can. (Too bad I have a demanding job, and I'm far from retirement, though quite a bit older than my QRZ picture would imply!)

Cathy
    N5WVR

N6QIC and MI0YLT like this.
  6. K0DD

K0DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello,
    This is my first post in this forum; I just stumbled across it! What got me into radio? I came from a very technical family and my very first boyfriend back in 1968 was a ham. He gave me a Knight R-100A receiver when he got a new transceiver (Dad might have gave him cash) and I started tuning around and listening. While looking through the summer school catalog I found a Ham Radio get your license course. There was another girl in the class and we became fast friends. She never got the license and neither did I until a couple years later I finally took the novice Dec 70 and on Feb 16, 1971 I found a letter from the FCC in the mailbox addressed to me! All three of my spouses have been "sort of" supportive of radio. After nearly 7 years since my last divorce I married once again-- third times the charm right? And JUST changed my name on my license last month AGAIN... Yay. We moved to Iowa about 35 miles from where we were in Shootem Up South Dakota, bought a house fall of 2016 and he's been helping me set up radio again. I have no idea if he will ever find interest in it himself. Pictures on my page.
    73's and 88's Ladies,
    Erika.

N6QIC, VE7VSL, KC9ZHV and 1 other person like this.
  7. KE0MHX

KE0MHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi YLs!
    I just now found this forum. I haven't been in the hobby very long. Just started this year. My husband has been interested in ham for a while and just got licensed last December. He grew up with CB radio, so this was a natural fit. I love techie things and experimenting, so as I saw how much I could learn about ham radio, I got interested, too. We tend to have a lot of interests and hobbies in common, so it wasn't much of a surprise. ;) The only problem with that is there is nobody to say "NO!" when either of us wants something :D

I passed my Technician exam in January and General in April. I learned so much studying for the General exam, I decided I'd learn even more studying for the Extra class! I've started studying some, but not that much, since I've been sidetracked by learning CW! I've long been interested in the idea of Morse code and now I have a legitimate reason to learn it!
    Melissa
    KE0MHX

K0DD and N6QIC like this.
  8. K0DD

K0DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Melissa,
    I'm up in the NW corner of IA so you're almost in the neighborhood. I was sort of hoping there would be a lot of activity here, but it's been pretty limited. Good to see you on here though and congratulations on the General Upgrade .

Erika KØDD