Hey Girls Please Post - What got you into amateur radio?

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by K3JEN, Nov 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KN4ACJ

KN4ACJ Member QRZ Page

Hello, brand new ham here.

I'd been listening to shortwave all my life - I have fond memories from childhood of listening with my grandpa to stations around the world, and being completely fascinated with the possibilities. I took that interest with me into adulthood, despite not choosing a STEM path for myself. I am an artist by trade, but I have worked with electronics and computer networking in the past, so I'm not totally green on electronics.

Fast forward a number of years, and here I am, early middle age, and just got done with a handful of other big projects I'd been working on. My beloved husband knew I was always into radio, and I'd mentioned "maybe someday I'll get my license" to him on more than one occasion.

This past Yule, he bought me a Baofeng UV-5R, and with that in my hand, I was able to start digging in. Got a copy of the book and a month later, took the test, so here I am.

2I0GYL, N6QIC and N4IAG like this.
  2. KK4VLR

KK4VLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago when young and newly married, I had a boarder in my home who had a boat anchor HF radio that was fascinating when he demonstrated it to me. He tried to teach me Morse code so I could be licensed, but I didn't master it and we had to move away when the economy went bad in our area that year.

A few years ago at church, I heard a Boy Scout tell his mom there was no longer a Morse code requirement. I found out the Church was offering a free class coming up the next Saturday. I wanted to be better prepared for emergencies so I strolled into the class and didn't realize it was really a hamcram with a test at the end. I had not been told I was supposed to read the Gordon West book and study before this class. I passed by one questionjust from that review without reading the book (due to some background in CB radio as a kid and having built computers to save money when they were far more expensive than they are now.)

Allison in Atlanta
    KK4VLR

2I0GYL and N6QIC like this.
  3. KG5PJG

KG5PJG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, Jen, Thanks for starting this thread.
    My OM and I married 41 years ago. He earned his novice in 1961, as an 11-year-old, and has worked CW ever since. All our life together, he asked me to earn my ticket, but it just seemed too hard, too foreign a subject for my artistic soul. Just no interest. BUT we always discussed his cool contacts. I always wanted to hear about those. AND, he never stopped asking... FINALLY, I decided that there was no harm in giving him something that he's requested for 40+ years. I studied, and studied... and believe me, with no background in electronics, it was tough... and passed my Tech exam in Sept 2016. They say a good way to strengthen you mental faculties if to learn material that is challenging to you. I'm very pleased that I accomplished that. In Jan 2017, I upgraded to General, because I REALLY wanted on HF. Hahaha. Trust me, last summer when prepping for the Tech exam I almost gave up more than once.
    In short, I tested for the Tech because my OM asked me to. BUT I upgraded to General because I wanted the HF BANDS. Now, I love working pileups, and I'm working on my WAS. He's building new antennas for me, and sharing his station while we put mine together. It's a great thing to share the hobby with your OM. Don't know why I waited so long.

2I0GYL and N6QIC like this.
  4. MI6PYL

MI6PYL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi I am 10 years old, my name is Savannah my father has the ham licence and my 2 sisters Summer and Grace are both licenced
    so ham radio is always on in house and cars so although only licenced I have grew up with it all my life and have talked to loads of hams using greetings messages from the age of 4!

2I0GYL likes this.