Hey Girls Please Post - What got you into amateur radio?

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by K3JEN, Nov 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3JEN

K3JEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's hear your stories :)

My grandfather and I got into it for emergencies, but over time I got into many other aspects of the hobby. I thought all I'd need is a Chinese dualband HT. Now I'm growing a pretty decent antenna farm and have my Extra hihi.

AI2SS, MI0YLT, 2I0GYL and 2 others like this.
  2. F4WBW

F4WBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jen,
    Already posted my "how I got into it" in one of the other threads currently running here. Basically, I married a ham (French one, at that) and after tagging along to ham events and finding I really enjoyed myself, I finally decided I ought to get my own ticket. Just passed the Extra exam in Friedrichshafen this year, and this summer got my French call sign.

Big bonus here in France is that YLs get into ham events for free! Then again, I took my DH to Dayton back several years ago - and discovered that for once there was an event with no lines for the ladies' room. Strange benefits to being a YL...

W5MQC, MI0YLT, 2I0GYL and 3 others like this.
  3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Jen,
    My first radio was when I was about 11. It was a little kit radio receiver that I put together. It had headphones and no batteries and I could tune and hear AM radio stations on it, was really cool.

Then when I was 21 I moved to Milwaukee Wisconsin and in the summer got involved in sailing. I had a marine radio and would listen to the Great lakes Weather Broadcast, Notice to mariners etc. I also bought a realistic short wave radio receiver from radio shack and in the winter time when I wasn't skating, I would listen to the Voice of America, and allot of other really cool stuff. One thing I always enjoyed was the Classical music on the short wave radio.

Ok so back in California when I was about 28, I took a Gordon West Novice class and passed the Novice exam and my 5 wpm Morse code test. Then about a month later took the Technician exam and passed, Yea.. You had to have at least a Technician license to talk on 2 meter, The Novice license was only CW and a small part of 10 meter. When I passed my technician exam I requested a new systematic Technician call sign and got N6QIC and have kept it ever sense. In 2012 after being out of radio for 10 years I took and passed my General License exam and here we are today.

And that is how I got interested in ham radio,
    Thanks for Listening.
    73, Lisa

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    VE7VSL, AI2SS, MI0YLT and 1 other person like this.
  4. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was growing up, it was all so mysterious to me every time I visited my cousin. He had cards from everywhere and a great station. I'd listen and think it would be cool to do that, too. Kind of magical I guess. I now know it's not magic but when I was little it seemed that way.

My parents were big into CB with their friends in town. I would use it to talk to friend, Eileen, across town. We drove everyone crazy, lol! I have to admit, it was a lot of fun.

Eventually, I took a course and passed my first test. SO exciting! And here I am.

MI0YLT, 2I0GYL and N6QIC like this.
  5. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

How did I get into ham radio?

I played with a 101zd with no mic connected sitting on the floor from the age of 4 turning the VFO I got quite good at tuning voices in and woodpeckers I really liked them.

My father has the licence GI7PWQ and other relatives have the ham licence and a radio is always on in the cars or around the house.
    And I always get into rallies free to its a shock for the person on the table seeing a young yl then seeing a 210 callsign too

VE7VSL, F4WBW, AI2SS and 2 others like this.
  6. 2I0GYL

2I0GYL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi
    Well as my big sister summer said above my father and other relatives have the ham licence and a radio is always on in the the house. summer my sister got the licence and I heard her working loads of stations I wanted to do it to.
    But I like VHF and cw while summer likes hf and contesting.

KC9ARP, VE7VSL, F4WBW and 3 others like this.
  7. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I cant point my finger at one thing in particular however past experience in Firefighting along with some other hobbies of mine got me interested in Radio based communications.. After meeting Mark (Kc9zhr) we decided to go together to get our license.. Little at that time did we know that we would be putting up a repeater and putting it online with only 3 months of being licensed....

2I0GYL, KG5OBE, VE7VSL and 2 others like this.
  8. KC2IAY

KC2IAY Ham Member QRZ Page

My Dad had his novice license way back when and let it expire. When I was 13 we took a class that the local club offered and I got my tech, and he passed all 3 of his classes in one day. Lost interest after a while, but about a year ago the bug got me again.

2I0GYL, MI0YLT, KM6CKF and 2 others like this.
  9. VE7VSL

VE7VSL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gosh,
    I am stretching my memory cells.. Well My Mum was an artist and in her own world ; my dad loved spending time with me and always tried to make me feel loved and share his love for science and learning. I lost them both and was very much on my own with my aunt. I studied as a chef , a real love but money was very hard to come by in those days. Still love cooking! When I lost both of them I wanted to do something to make my father proud.. building Eico and Heath kits was fun and great if it worked at the end! I then went into engineering ,electronics and electrical.. not an easy go in those days.. So now I am getting ready to retire from being with a school board and Ham radio seemed a great way to enjoy electronics and make friends. Keeps me in awe how you can bounce radio waves so far ! This year is my last at work and my husband Jerry ; at first not supportive is now after I passed my Ham test is getting more interested in my efforts and maybe will join me radio.. my hope.
    QRP is very exciting and have a friend Henk (VA7HV) that loves reaching far away places with 5 watts HF. So that is my present goal and enjoy getting involved with our local ECO to do ECO and packet. Still rather microphone shy but working though it.
    Sailing and having Ham radio onboard our ketch is also a dream to come true.
    Charla

KC9ARP, 2I0GYL, N2OKA and 5 others like this.
  10. KM6CKF

KM6CKF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,
    I just passed my tech and general test early this month! I got into ham radio as a way to be connected with the world and my community after I retire from my city council seat this fall. I have always enjoyed tinkering with electronics and such, but really didn't see a need to produce robots or other common hobby things. I saw a announcement for a class to become a ham in my local paper and went for it. The local hams have been welcoming and encouraging. I've joined the club and so far have participated in one community event. I am on a tight budget, so have purchased a Kenwood 430 to restore and hope to be on the air hf in a bit. For now, I am working with a HT and 2m mobile.

Glad you all are here!

KC9ARP, 2I0GYL, N2OKA and 6 others like this.