ad: Tetsuo-1

Hey girls are you Being told "88" by random men on air?

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by KC2IAY, Sep 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KC2IAY

KC2IAY Ham Member QRZ Page

For those that might be unfamiliar, "88" is a code that translates to "love and kisses" as opposed to the more common "73" you hear hams say all the time meaning "best wishes"

On several occasions I have had QSOs with men, none of whom I knew in person or was related to close our QSO with 88. To me, this seems a bit inappropriate, if you were saying goodbye to a stranger you met at the grocery store would you tell them you love them and kiss them goodbye? I think not.

It isn't something that especially bothers me, I doubt they meant any offense by it, but it does seem to be another example of YLs not necessarily getting an equal amount of respect.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with this.

KC2IAY

N6QIC likes this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. N6QIC

Hi Monica,
    73 means "best regards" not "best wishes", but the message is the same.

I have always understood that 88 means hugs and kisses, not love and kisses.
    Wikipedia says that it is Love and kisses but I don't se it that way.

For a random person that I don't know to say 88 would not be to strange, it would just mean that they liked talking with you on the radio. At least that's what it would mean to me.

73, Lisa

MI0YLT likes this.
  4. N6QIC

Hello everyone,

I just talked to Monica and she has deliberately started this thread in the YL forum because she wants to hear from the other girls about her post. She is aware that if she likes she can also post her thread in any other forums.

Thanks everyone,
    73, Lisa

5. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 88's used before personally I don't like it.. The only one i want to hear 88's from is my Boyfriend but that just my thoughts.. However I have a much deeper voice so i sound like a dude on the air so that doesn't usually affect me much because guys don't take the time to look me up.. Having said that it is annoying that guys can't tell the difference in my voice however it does have some advantages lol...

Here is an example of my voice lol!

N6QIC likes this.
  6. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, nearly every time, and no it doesn't bother me. Why should it?

N6QIC, KC9ZHV and KJ4VTH like this.
  7. N6QIC

Hey Girls, there is now a similar thread for all the guys to post in. It is in the Ham Radio Discussion forum.

KQ0J and WR2E like this.
  8. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know it doesn't look like its in the safety of the YL side lol might be scary to meet some of these guys out their lol!! Only teasing if your reading this don't take it personal..

N6QIC and WR2E like this.
  9. K0DD

K0DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have to know how to take a complement.

MI0YLT, N6QIC, KA9JLM and 1 other person like this.