Help with Winmore please

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB1YN, Jul 3, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB1YN

AB1YN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Community,

After many failed attempts, I am still unable to connect to a winlink / winmore node. Software is all installed, I am using a FT 891, Signalink USB, have baud set to 9600, rig control is working. Despite what looks like a successful pairing of radio, TNC, and computer, I have yet to actually connect to any nodes. I have set up an account with winlink. I am using winlink express and using the winmore option.
    Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you,
    Andrew Perron
    ab1yn

TNC.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are several possibilities.
    • Make sure your channel selector database is up to date. In the HF channel Selector menu item in the Winmore Radio-only Session, click on Update Table Via Internet to up date the propagation data base where you select the station and frequency.
    • Propagation is very poor at this time. The 'Path Reliability Estimate' column in the HF Channel Selector will show the best frequencies in green. The number should be in the upper 70's or higher for a good chance of making a solid connection. At this time mine is only showing 8 stations in the green, which is an extremely low number.
    • There are always some RMS station that are down for various reasons. Check https://winlink.org/ along the left column for a list of stations that are temporarily down. This list may not be complete.
    • Many RMS stations scan several frequencies polling for calling stations. Even if they are on the air they may be busy with a radio session on another frequency.
    Your set up is probably just fine as is and the poor prop conditions are the reason for failing to make a connection. You need pretty good signals to establish a connection. I see in your screen shot that the the path quality for the listed station is 56. Even though that's in the 'Green' it's still at the very low end of the green range.

The frequency reliability and quality predictions in the software can not take into consideration how your station is set up, power and antenna wise. If you have different antenna options such as NVIS or non NVIS you might try each to see if one works better, especially during the day on 40 and 80 meters.

If you know another station running Winmore you might try a peer to peer session when you know you have good conditions just to test your set up.

3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Andrew, good for you for trying! K8BZ posted some great suggestions. Might i add another? This often is much more easily solved if you will make a phone call to a friendly system operator of a nearby RMS and get them to LISTEN while you try. This has helped a number of people succeed. I'm a bit far away, but 20 meters in the middle of the day or 80 meters at 5 or 6 AM might work to my Florida station and you can certainly call me -- if you're interested I can get you my phone number.

All kinds of things can be wrong -- people don't undersstand how to adjust the transmit gain, so they are overmodulating or undermodulating; they accidentaly use the wrong sideband....it should always be UPPER, or they get center and dial frequenciies confused. One trick is to to FIND a connection where you can HEAR the gateway (you may be even able to read some of the frame types if they are using WINMOR) and then call THAT gateway -- but easier just to get someone to listen to you. If you have anyone near you who knows how to do this, you can work on peer to peer with that person.

Not as easy as it looks -- but once you figure it out, quite a nice system. Rember that ARDOP is already in your software package, all you have to do is configure it jusst like you did the WINMOR and now you have TWO modes.

Cheers,
    Gordon

K8BZ likes this.
  4. VE1DDD

VE1DDD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Winmor is being replaced (simply by gateway operators dropping it) in favour or VARA. VARA is shareware. In its unpaid version it is still much faster than Winmor and the paid version ($70USD I believe) is as fast as PACTOR 3. I used it with Winlink to send messages during Field Day and it worked quite well, especially compared to Winmor.

Download it here (it is installed as a separate program but Winlink will launch it as needed): https://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. Just downloaded and installed and ran a test session. Yes Andrew, VARA does seem to do a better job as opposed to Winmore. I did two test sessions and had no problem making a connection and sending a test message on 40 meters under quite weak conditions. I'll test some more and if it continues to look good I'll pay for a registered version. I also ran another test session with Winmore and it also worked, but I think I prefer VARA. Thanks again Doug.

VE1DDD likes this.
  6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I provide VARA access on my gateway, and people seem to like it, and I even paid the $$ to get it for personal usage, but I seemed to have done something there and it doesn't work quite correctly on my client station...such is life. Pactor is still my go-to mode when things are tough, however.

At the moment there are only two radio modes that allow connections for radio-only messages: pactor and winmor. I'm hoping they will add to those. This is a VoluNTEER grouop of course...and they are beset with many problems from outsiders as well as trying to keep the herd of cats playing by the rules....if you have ever worked with a ham club....you know what I mean....

7. AB1YN

Hello All,

I am just getting back to this and I am going work these suggestions! Thank you for responding and I will post again soon hopefully with a successful connection
    Thanks again everyone!
    Andrew

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Again -- if you can get a systems operator to LISTEN to your attempts to connect -- you'll get there a lot lot faster!!! There are a zillion things that can go wrong, from propagation to frequency, sideband, wiring, distortion....yada yada yada

Good luck -- it is worth learning -- this is part of building that cadre of trained people that 97.1 speaks about.
    Gordon

9. AB1YN

Update:
    I was able to make a connection using VARA-Winlink, although replication has been tricky. I might try and blame my antenna, an end fed emcomm 2, but I really do not think that is the problem. The emcomm 2 is a fine antenna and I have worked many stations with it. I just bought a cobra ultralight senior and plan to make that my primary dipole, and use the emcomm for the go box.
    Thanks,
    Andrew