Help with these popups???

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WB0MPB, Jan 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep getting a lot in the last few days of these popup ads. I close one and another just pops up in its place until they finally close. Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of them. I ran Malware bits (sp?) and a couple other things like that. Any thoughts from anyone??? (FYI Win 7)
    upload_2019-1-10_0-47-14.png
    John, WB0MPB

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Where have you been browsing??!!...
    BTW try Adblock. & clean out your cookies....

3. WB0MPB

So far I have not had any luck with adblock. It happened after I was trying to us a program to try to download a youtube video. The one I was using stopped working.
    (I was looking for a Russian bride.:D:D:D:D)

John, WB0MPB

KD8DEY likes this.
  4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be part of the new program....
    (Not uncommon for free programs to have built in advertising)
    Ymmv

5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

one thing you could try on win7 is to use system restore to reconfig windows to a restore point before you downloaded the you tube downloader
    It should give you a list of previous restore points. I have used this a few times to go back a couple weeks. Also clean out every file that you can find from that downloader after the restore. There may be some directory with the files left. Just be certain of what you do.
    I've had several downloaded "gems" that either started trying to hog resources, reconnect to their home or make the system unstable.
    It shouldnt change (so it says) any of your stuff in my docs, pic, or in the download folder
    Another thing I use after doing a restore point, is to use ccleaner for the files and registry. Iy will ask you to save the registry before you fix it.

look into it before you try it and it wouldnt hurt to have a backup of your files to a usb stick

One thing I do is once my system is running without problems, I use a spare drive and use system image to clone the system hard drive
    just in case the system or main drive. Helps to have a spare drive

6. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Running "Ghostery" here, it blocks a TON of crap. It is inconceivable that anyone is NOT running some sort of adblocker today ... it looks like the OP has something else going on though on account of the 'software' downloaded to do the YT stuff ...

7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What browser are you running? Can you check the "add-ons?" I run Firefox and it's possible that you could have downloaded an "add-on" that is responsible for those popups. I've had that happen before and got rid of the issue by deleting the add-on.

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Looks like you're running Google Chrome. I'm not as familiar with that but click on the 3 vertical dots upper right, click on "more tools" then "extensions." Delete any extensions you are not using.

9. W4PG

10. WB0MPB

I just did this. I ran CCleaner, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware program. I went into add/remove programs and I think I removed the 2 programs I was trying for downloading youtube. I just thought I have not ran my anti virus scan yet if I should.
    So that is where I am at right now (I think)
    Chrome / Windows 7

I run adblock. I don't know what "Ghostery" is. Is that just a term you used or is that a program that I need?

I googled Ghostery and it looks like it is a program or extension?? Should I have it on my computer?
    John, WB0MPB Sorry we doubled on our posts.