Help with motorcycle moble

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by NJ9G, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJ9G

NJ9G Ham Member

I have a Kenwood D710 radio and a BMW K-1200LT motorcycle. I would like to start doing some event support with my bike, but I am having a hard time finding the right microphone. I think I can handle getting the radio wired into the bike, power, antenna, etc. But I am not having any luck finding a remote mic/speaker for the D710 than I can integrate with a helmet. It would need to have a good loud speaker, and a remote PTT switch that I can mount on the handlebar. I may just be looking for the wrong thing, so if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. M0GVZ

M0GVZ XML Subscriber

Get a headset with a boom mike and make up some cables. You need one with a RJ45 connector on that has a two core wire coming out to a female jack socket for the mike connection of the headset and the other two core wire going to a switch on the handlebar for PTT - both twin cores will need to share the ground wire. Then you just need to make up an extension cable to plug the headphone socket into.

You could do away with the handlebar switch and use VOX but in a noisy environment it may miskey.

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

I'm not into bike mobile, but I do remember seeing an ad for a headset made to go inside a helmet. There was a PTT switch included.

One thing to remember if you do use VOX, everyone will know what you think of the guy who pulled right in front of you!

4. NJ9G

NJ9G Ham Member

I have seen a couple of motorcycle headsets, but they are made for a two-pin typical style connection. I guess I could get one of those and rewire it for the RJ45 jack on the 710, but I would prefer to avoid that if there is another option.

5. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

Heck, it can't be that hard to make an adapter. Most of the parts are carried by Mouser.

6. NJ9G

NJ9G Ham Member

I hadn't thought of making an adapter, but that seems like a great approach. Then, you could just simply unplug from the motorcycle and plug into an HT, while wearing the same headset.

7. NJ9G

NJ9G Ham Member

I tried to wire up an adapter. I got the PTT to work, but I was unable to get any microphone to work. I tried a variety of different mics, but none seemed to drive the audio at all. Is there some trick to wiring microphones to receivers? I'm just wiring the mic to the MIC and MIC GND lines.

I have also had a hard time finding a Kenwood-style cable adapter. It looks to me like the smaller pin is a 2.5MM mono, but those are suprisingly hard to find.

8. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

I'd have to look to be sure, but I think all of Kenwood's radios all use a dynamic microphone. I won't say all, but most headsets use an electret condenser microphones, and they need bias power.

9. NJ9G

NJ9G Ham Member

This is the wiring diagram for the mic jack. Do you have any suggestions as to how to wire an external microphone to it? I was putting the mic lines across 6 and 5, but not driving anything. I would assume the Kenwood is a basic dynamic microphone. If I want to wire in an electret microphone, where does the bias power come in?

Microphone.PNG

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  11. NJ9G

NJ9G Ham Member

Thanks for the link. That's great resource.

I've found tons of 3.5mm cables and plugs at Radio Shack, but no 2.5mm stuff at all.

12. NI7I

NI7I Ham Member

Just bought a motorcycle and was looking at helmets.. Saw some awsome ones equipped with bluetooth.. speakers and mics
    included and built in.. yoou may want to consider that option..

Lee
    NI7I

13. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member

Added Mouser catalog page for Kobiconn plugs to earlier answer / post.

14. NJ9G

NJ9G Ham Member

I actually have a bluetooth helmet. It works great with my phone. I don't have a bluetooth interface to the radio, though. I am not sure how you could handle PTT with bluetooth, unless they make a separate PTT bluetooth dongle or something.

15. NJ9G

NJ9G Ham Member

Thanks for finding that for me. That catalog is hard to search, and you saved me a lot of time. For anyone else interested in this, the 2.5 mm mono jacks are on the previous page from the one listed.

16. KJ0NAS

KJ0NAS Ham Member

I have been wondering this too. I just got my tech license because I saw a podcast on APRS. I want to put APRS on my motorcycle. For now I am thinking just a MicroTrak. Otherwise the Yaesu FTM-10SR looks intriguing. I will need to ask if I can add APRS to it, but it has a bluetooth option. Same with Yaesu's APRS handhelds.

I have a Zumo 550 GPS and a Scala Rider Q2 headset - so I have bluetooth in my helmet so I can hear my GPS. I don't see how PTT would work. Maybe there is something in the manual for those Yaesu radios that explains it. VOX would suck.

Otherwise there are headsets for helmets that have PTT. Search Google for FRS in helmet. If you hve a full face helmet there are boomless headsets where you velcro the mic inside the helmet. Otherwise there are boom mics for open face helmets which is what my Q2 is.

I hope you have a touring bike and a full face helmet, otherwise talking on a bike sucks. It is noisy, mostly from the wind. If you have aftermarket exhausts those will get picked up also. That assumes you are trying to talk while riding. I paired my Q2 with my cell phone, but I will pull off to the side of the road before I talk to someone.

17. N8MSA

N8MSA Premium Subscriber

J & M Motorcycle Audio has a wide variety of headsets, PTT switches and cables. I know several locals that have wired them to work with a wide variety of transceivers, one of being a Kenwood HT.

http://www.jmcorp.com/

I use a Schuberth Bluetooth system in my S2, paired to a Yaesu VX-8DR. Works for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.