HELP....My Computer...

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KR4MER, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB1N

AB1N Ham Member QRZ Page

I can only reiterate what others have said before. Windows ME was the worst mistake of an operating system that Microsoft ever released. It was only on the market for a year or so before 2000 and XP came out. If you can afford it at all, I would strongly suggest you upgrade to XP. I have been running it for 6 years now (or however long it's been since it first came out) and it has never given me any serious problems. Computers are so cheap, you can get a nice new one with modern hardware (anything from the Windows ME era cannot be considered modern by any stretch of the imagination) for less than the cost of a low-end HF rig. [​IMG]

2. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

What you'll first want to do is rule out any possible hardware problem.

Here's the easiest thing to do...Linux to the rescue!

If your own machine isn't working properly, use a friend's machine and download a copy of "Damn Small Linux". You can get it from:
    Damn Small Linux

Damn Small Linux uses the same fantastic hardware detection system as another version of Linux called "Knoppix"...but is very small...only 50 MB.

You download the .iso image and burn the image to CD.

Then just change your setup so that you boot from CD instead of from the hard drive. Damn Small Linux creates a "RAMdisk" and will run completely from the CD. It won't damage any of the files on your hard drive at all.

The Knoppix hardware detection system that Damn Small Linux uses will find and setup just about anything. So if during bootup, Damn Small Linux doesn't find your hardware...or complains...then there's a very good chance that you have a hardware problem.

If it all works under Damn Small Linux, then the problem is likely with Windows ME.

Officially, all Microsoft operating systems up to Windows ME are now "unsupported" by Microsoft. Support officially ended in July, 2006. That means you are running a very insecure operating system if you are connecting it to the net.

Windows 2000 Professional would probably run on your old machine and is still supported, but you "officially" can't buy it any more. You can only "officially" purchase Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Windows Vista will certainly not run on your old machine and very likely Windows XP won't either...unless as others have mentioned you buy some more RAM and possibly do some other hardware upgrades.

You might be able to purchase a Windows ME (or Windows 2000) disk at a hamfest or perhaps on sites like eBay or Craigslist.

But if you can't afford a new computer, really the only way to keep it running with a secure and supported operating system is to use Linux. The computer I'm typing this message on is probably about the same vintage as the one you are using. It's a 450 MHz. Pentium II with only 192 MB RAM and a 9 GB hard drive. I'm using the "Xubuntu" version of Linux. The version I'm using is only a couple of months old...so more "modern" than Windows Vista, and is especially designed to run on somewhat older computers.

Also it's free. You won't need any "serial numbers" or have to "activate" it and you can install it on as many computers as you'd like.

If you're a bit nervous about trying a different operating system, there's a good chance that there's a "Linux guru" in your local ham radio club who can help you out.

Bob VE3SRE

3. KA0SPM

KA0SPM Ham Member QRZ Page

cockpit error. eject eject eject!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.