HELP....My Computer...

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KR4MER, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KR4MER

KR4MER Ham Member QRZ Page

Today when i turned my pc on i had no mouse. I still cant get it to work. I tried everything i know. Any suggestions??? Its been doing weird things lately like automatic system restores, and such. It has also been deleting files by itself...PLZ HELP [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Its this windoze ME that im using i think..

2. KU7PDX

KU7PDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest performing a complete system restore using the disc the manufacturer provided. However, if there are files that you need to keep, I would suggest contacting a professional to get them backed up prior to a system restore being performed.

You probably got some spyware and trojans as they'll do strange stuff like that...

Rule #1: Use a router with your broadband service. If you use dialup, get broadband :)

Rule #2: Run Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware once per month. This will check for all the usual spyware.

Rule #3: If you have Comcast broadband, get the Mcafee Antivirus that comes FREE with your service...

3. KR4MER

i dont have the disks the manufacturer provided as i got this pc off a friend with the manufactures original software installed.

4. KU7PDX

KU7PDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, then I would recommend purchasing a copy of Windows and reinstalling it...

Newegg.com has pretty good deals on OEM software (OEM means it has a disc and license key, but no pretty box for half the price)... [​IMG]

Good luck!

5. KR4MER

ok now its really ticking me off i have no sound now and its not detecting the sound card. [​IMG] [​IMG] Could the motherboard be going???

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you do a complete lobotomy on it, try rebooting in safe mode. If you still don't have mouse and keyboard control, you might have a hardware problem. If it works okay, then you might have a virus, as suggested.

eric

7. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

I would FIRST run a virus/trojan scan then I'd run a full system diagnostic to see if there are any hardware issues (fix-it is good) - then pull off all your non-replacable files (if you don't have them backed up already) & last but not least, if all is NOT clean run a scan of the backed up files to make sure you aren't carrying the crap over.

ASAP I'd get rid of that "ME" since it is a known "POS" - then "ghost" the system - use this if "disaster" ever strikes...

8. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you've got some choices to make. Biggest being how much time and money do you want to throw down that hole.

Windows ME: One of the only products MS has come as close as they can without actually saying it should never have been released. There's a reason it was available for such a short time. Downgrading to Windows 98se *is* an improvement.

Windows ME class machine == under powered for anything contemporary. Maybe XP if you put some $$ into it for RAM and possibly CPU upgrade and can tolerate slow performance. But, it'll likely never be a true XP class system, unless you upgrade all the inards.

Hard to justify all that time, effort and what not when you can get a box from Sam's club, O-max or even online for several hundred bones.

You can check the system at the hardware level by booting a Live CD - say knoppix - run stuff, check things out. prove to yourself the hardware (mobo, ram, vid sys) is OK. Then you can decide if the bother, time and expense are worth it or not.

But seriously - Windows ME? Time to move on and catch up with current tech. And remember, common suggestion was to wipe and re-install Win9x class systems regularly. Some said as often as every 6 months.

http://www.knoppix.net

9. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

FWIW, I've got a similar problem here with an old P-II-400, and the problem is recognized by the bios during bootup. If the machine doesn't recognize the mouse (or the KBD) I turn the power off and try again. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. Jiggling connectors doesn't help. And it's NOT a virus problem, at least in my case. Did a full reinstall on a hard drive that's never seen the internet. IIRC, the BIOS checks the Mouse and KBD before it looks for the hard drive. It's just a backup machine for SSTV and PSK and I seldom use it, so I just live with it! Also, sometimes getting RF into the machine will kill the KBD.

IMHO, Win98 is more reliable than ME. See a thread about ME abnout 2 threads down.

10. KR4MER

I have my mouse back. [​IMG] But i still have no sound card.
    [​IMG] that means i cant use my echolink. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.