Help me put my dongle to use

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KE0EYJ, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, first thread!

I've got a DVB-T+DAB+FM USB dongle thing that I once bought, so that I could add SDR to an old FT950. I seemed to have troubles getting the radio to work with the software, and no amount of help seemed to work, at the time.

I'd like to put this USB dongle to use, somehow. Is it as simple as plugging it in and hooking an antenna to it, along with some software? I forget the SDR software I used. Are there various choices?

Thanks.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like HDSDR.

I have one of my SDRs connected to a RPi3 and share it over my network.

Have Fun.

VE3CGA likes this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are several softwares to operate your dongle. You will probably need " Zadig " to add the right driver for it.
    SDR-Console is my personal favorite. SDRAngel, HDSDR, SDR# are all viable softwares to operate your dongle.
    Please read tutorials first, as it is a bit of a learning curve.

Ed

4. KB4MB

KB4MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I use cubicsdr and it controlls/follows my rig (Icom 718). Whatever I click my rig tunes to. If I spin the dial, it follows on the software.

5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You should be able to use the IF output in the radio for the DMU-2000 to feed the dongle. You'll need to bring a cable out the back for that. It's one of those PC board mounted coax jacks - I forget what they're called - out to a cable mounted or chassis mounted SMA that connects to the dongle.

Using HDSDR, OmniRig and a Cat cable, you should be able to set it up to look at the 9mhz first if and give you some portion of the spectrum.

There are web resources that describe how to set up HDSDR to look at the if and talk to the radio.

6. N7MLW

N7MLW Ham Member QRZ Page

Following

I also have an Ft-950 that I want to set up a panadapter/SDR

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I like HDSDR, but SDRConsole and SDR# are also very good.

The main difficulty for a lot of people is installing the driver properly using Zadig.

HDSDR also requires the user to download and place the DLL file in its directory for it to work.

8. KA9JLM

Does anyone know of a ExtIO_RTL.dll that has support for Bias-T ?

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KA9JLM

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018