Help identify an RF noise

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K0JM, Jul 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5DMC

N5DMC Ham Member QRZ Page

AVF,

Good God man. That would be the end of it all right there.

The so called high efficiency AC units that operate with half speed compressor and air handler fans are noisy too.

2. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KV4PD

KV4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

That has been my situation at my QTH for quite some time. In a last-ditch effort to eliminate the problem (transformer is inaccessible), I shorted out the secondary at the ringer and shorted both outside buttons hoping to burn it out. That reduced the RFI quite a bit, but it still has not 'given up the ghost'. If I want to get on the air, I have to flip off the breaker feeding that PIA.

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Inaccessable? It usually is right at the panel (Sometimes, inside).

Ed

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not here!

My doorbell transformer is on a high beam about 8' above the floor in the garage! That happens to be within about fifteen feet of the original doorbell location, so maybe that's why they put it there. Nowhere near the service panel, though -- that's on the other side of the house.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Inaccessible? Shouldn't be, by code. Or do you mean extremely inconvenient to access?

7. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, when I say, "Usually" that means that it is what I have experienced in the majority. I have also found the transformers in many other places. I would say that 75% of the homes that I have worked in are so wired (About 400 homes).

Ed

8. KV4PD

It is located deep in the attic and I mean far away from the only access door. It would require a midget to get to it and I don't know any. The builder really screwed up on this one. The house is at least fifty years old and I don't have any idea what the code was at the time it was constructed.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s pretty bad!

Maybe a small teenager?

10. KV4PD

Well, others here commented about that but then also mentioned the liability aspect, which I really would not like to have to deal with. I'd have never guessed this thing would keep going like the Energizer bunny.