Help buying 'smart' phone

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N3DT, May 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The last phone that I bought was marked for Metro PCS.

I put my T-Mobile sim in it, And it was up and running. The sim updated the phone MEI. :)

Darn, I still got a bill. :(

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used Verizon cell phones for years. Never had a problem with them. I've had T-Mobil, AT&T, and Sprint equipped cohorts ask to use my cell phone because they had no signal. My first smart phone was an Android which Verizon stated was their latest and greatest. It was a lemon...the poorest cell phone I had ever owned. It kept shutting down and had to be rebooted. Verizon said in order to fix it I would have to buy a new Android phone. I was gong Apple so I opted for the iPhone....no problems since.
    I sometimes have problems reaching some Android equipped friends and get the same description I experienced with Android...oh my phone shut down or my phone didn't recharge.
    When looking for a smart phone a very basic requirement I have is that it be a reliable cell phone.

3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a friend that really recommended the Iphone. He says they work better especially as a hot spot, but I'm not worried about the hot spot thing right now. Thing with Iphone is a 5" one is fairly new and expensive as I understand. My neighbor has Iphone and wants to get a Samsung for some reason. Most people I talk to around here seem to like the Verizon coverage better than the ATT. I'm not sure T Mobile will be good for us. As near as I can tell the ATT coverage in the house is better than Verizon, but not totally sure. I get 3-4 bars on my Nokia with ATT, Verizon Mi-Fi only got 1 or 2. But inhouse coverage is not important at the moment, we have Hughesnet satellite and wireless router plus still landline and cheap (ECG) long distance. Hughes offers VOIP, but no need for that with us.

It almost looks like there are as many smart phone options as there are people in the US.

When I was working in the 2000's we used ATT phones because we traveled nationwide and that seemed to have better coverage at the time. Not sure now.

4. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Verizon tends to be king in the carolinas. ATT has very spotty services especially in the mountains.

The iphones, while spendy, are very easy to operate. They don't change very often, and their ecosphere tends to be safer than the android offerings (sorry andoid guys its just true).

I carried android devices because previous employers paid for them, but I really did not like them. They tend to be poorly thought-out, and offer 32 ways to do any given thing.

Apple is much simpler. Elegantly so. Apple the company is kinda douchey but they make finely engineered products and deserve respect for that.

PS- Android guys please just dont go foaming at the mouth. I've had both.

5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Not me I look for the most unreliable phone I can. One that has the worse reviews and breaks often and no one likes!!! LOL

John , WB0MPB

sarcasm (2).jpg

6. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

These days, you don't buy your phone from a carrier unless the carrier offers exceptional financing deals. Essentially, a free loan. Otherwise, yes, you can buy an "unlockded" phone on Ebay or retail. Just a cursory search on Amazon turned of pages upon pages of refurbished and new-old-stock smartphones.

Some of these, will tell you on which carriers it can be used, others require a bit of research. Some carriers like Sprint make it really hard to bring in a phone, others like T-Mobile will take a relaxed attitude and ship you a SIM and let it rip. If you use Walmart's Straight Talk, you can go to their web site and tell them you are bringing a phone, punch in the IMEI and it will tell you if it will work.

Since this is your first smartphone, it will take some reason on what you like. Both Android and IOS have some very pronounced strengths, so it will end up being what you like. After that, you can winnow down the list of candidate phones from which to choose.

Having an unlocked phone is wonderful, especially if you travel to other countries. My last trip, I popped in a local carrier for $8, used Google Maps to navigate and it was awesome.

7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing to consider when purchasing a phone: who is going to be your carrier since some carriers are CDMA only, others GSM.

8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've actually been thinking about buying an unlocked phone so I can use it however I want to, CDMA or GSM, even overseas if that happens. And maybe just one smartphone and then a basic voice only phone. I can't see buying two expensive smart phones. I can also always use wi-fi when available with the Fire. I'm sure verizon and ATT don't want to hear that, but in a way I'd like to burn their butt, I can tell some stories about their bait and switch crap, greedy b******s. They're worst than politicians.

9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Go ahead and get smart phones. A cheap one like I showed you earlier is a good as spending hundreds on one. I never really though a smart phone seemed like a good use of my money but I use it so much now. Especially when I am out in a store and want to make a price comparison. Or when I am out and want something I ask it where to buy a certain item or ask them where a certain store is and then tell it to give me the driving directions to it and it takes me right to it. And I get daily news on it and can shop on it and get alerts to things I am wanting alerts on. I get daily devotions on it. I have the Walmart app on it so if I see something in the store and it is cheaper online with Walmart, which it usually is I just bring it up and show the cashier and get it for the cheaper price. I have done that several times in fact. I get my weather on it and weather alerts on it. Bar code reader so you can gt info on a product, Calendar that has my whole day to day life on it so I don't forget to go to a doctor or PT or anything I have to be at. I could not live without my calendar. And it syncs with the calendar on my laptop so they always show the same thing even though I just enter it into one device. One of my favorite things it does for me since I don't know Kansas City and surrounding area well yet I can just ask it (with voice) where something is and it gives me turn by turn directions to get there. And if I am out and want to go home and I get lost I just ask it to take me home and it does. I am going to use that on the motorcycle so I can just drive and look around and then have it tell me where I am and how to get home. I have a mount on the bike and a small ear bud bluetooth so I can hear it. So they do so much for you. That is just a few I can think of right now. And if I don't know something I just verbally ask Google and it tells me what I need to know,
    So after thinking I did not need "one of those" I will not be without one now. I don't think I will ever spend hundreds on one like some do. Someone would have to show me and prove to me that iphone you stand in line for and pay hundreds for is worth the money. I always have an open mind but I don't know any reason right now without being shown that it does enough more then mine to get one.

So just in my opinion a smart phone does a lot to help you live your life. (No Facebook though!!!! A waste of time to this guy!!) So you can see I am sold on them.

Just my opinions
    John, WB0MPB
    EDIT: If you want them to they can even help you learn to make paragraphs!!! LOL

10. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

We have the same phones (from Wally World for $99 ea.) but use Total Wireless (part of the Trac Phone system which may or may not be available in your area). My wife and I have one and we bought a third one for our daughter. The service plan for all three is $85 (with a discount if you set up automatic payment) which also includes 12 gb of shared data. Since we use the phones primarily for email and surfing and not for heavy-duty streaming, we never come anywhere close to hitting our limit.

Of course, YMMV!