Help: Bushcomm “highlander 8” mobile antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W9EAM, May 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9EAM

W9EAM Ham Member QRZ Page

is there any one that has used this antenna(Bushcomm Highlander 8)? I can;t find any reviews on this antenna, any thoughts?.........
    How does this highlander compare to a ham stick?

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is nothing more than a hamstick. If you don't care about efficiency, then buy the MFJ version, and save yourself some money.

3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears to be much like the Outbacker antenna, with that "wander lead". Here is what they say about their antenna http://www.outbacker.biz/OUTBACKER/outbacker.html

The Outbacker has reviews online.

The Bushcomm website has practically no information, however there is a YouTube video.

4. W7CJD

Here is what DX Engineering has about it.
    https://www.dxengineering.com/searc...autoview=SKU&sortby=Default&sortorder=Default
    Bushcomm Highlander 8 Tapped Mobile Whip Antennas
    Bushcomm Highlander 8 Tapped Mobile Whip Antennas are designed for Amateur enthusiasts looking for a dependable, heavy duty, all-band 80 through 6-meter whip for their vehicle.

Machine wound, and coated in a new heavy duty Polyolefin coating, these whips are strong, efficient and affordable. Bushcomm Highlander 8 antennas are designed to adjust to any portion of the 80 through 6 meter amateur bands, including WARC bands and the 11 meter (CB) band. Only the 60 meter band is excluded.

Selecting a band is as simple as plugging in a tap. Fine tuning within a band is performed by adjusting the variable-length stainless mini-whip at the top. Enjoy working almost any HF band in your mobile!

A NOTE from BUSHCOMM concerning Highlander 8 mobile installations:

1. The Highlander 8 antenna's inherently robust design has weight and surface-area loading characteristics similar to that used by commercial and military installations. This means that the antenna MUST be used with a heavy duty spring with a 6mm dia. coil winding and an overall diameter of approximately 40mm. We recommend DX Engineering part number HSR-SSM-3 or similar.

2. Under NO circumstances should the Highlander 8 be used with a gutter mount, bonnet / guard mount or other light-duty antenna mount. Damage to the whip or vehicle (or both) is highly likely with this installation method.

3. Whip breakage due to incorrect mounting is not covered by warranty. Specifically: Damage to the antenna's fiberglass core and/or the joint between the fiberglass core and the threaded ferrule.

4. Under NO circumstances should the 3/8 thread on the whip mounting ferrule be shortened or modified in any way.

5. The above requirements are not necessary for tripod or other stationary installations.

Note: Whenever the DX Engineering "Documentation" tab is available, please look at the associated files for additional product information.

There are mobile whips. And then there is one 80 through 6-meter very heavy-duty mobile whip! Order Bushcomm Highlander 8 Tapped Mobile Whip Antennas from DX Engineering and work real multi-band mobile!

5. W7CJD

I have an Anttron "hamstick" for 75/80 meters I adjusted for Montana net and leave it right there.

..adjusting the whip for frequency has to be "just-right".

I had to adjust the whip in mm movement up and down, and I regard that as an annoying "fiddly" compromise antenna.

..that said, it works.

In good conditions, I have also transmitted thru the "dummy load" while tuning up and got on Montana net ..under 10-watts SSB