Help a newbie

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KM4NSV, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KM4NSV

KM4NSV Ham Member QRZ Page

Tonight I took my Baofeng UV-5R and listened to numerous people making contacts on different satellites, I was thrilled I actually could hear them, even got grid locations which was cool, furthest was Mexico I live in Florida. Anyway can someone PLEASE in plain speak tell me how to program my Baofeng so that I can transmit and receive satellites, I’ve tried the instruction manual but I am obviously screwing it up, help a newbie if u can :)

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

My suggestion is to download "chirp" and use that to program the radio. You'll need one of the authentic baofeng programming cables.

While I can program a standard offset repeater, programming an odd split "repeater" like a satellite transponder is more difficult (if even possible with just the keyboard). You may be better off just programming the Tx and Rx frequencies into the two vfo's and switching between the two. Remember to turn on tone for the uplink frequency.

3. KM4NSV

Thank you for responding, VFO?

4. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

The VFO is each of the "bands" that the baofeng allows you to have at one time. So there are two modes, "VFO" and "MR". MR is the memories, VFO is just where you can used the arrow keys to increment the frequency. Program the top VFO for the downlink frequency, and the bottom VFO for the uplink, and keep the bottom VFO selected using the "A/B" button. At this point, be sure to turn the tone on (to activate the transponder) for the lower VFO (uplink). Now, select the upper VFO with the "A/B" button and listen for the satellite. When there is a nice lull in the action, switch to the lower frequency and state your call and grid, followed by "HALF DUPLEX". This will let everybody know what is going on. Then quickly switch back to the upper VFO and listen.

Hopefully you will hear somebody call you back. I wouldn't try this on a busy pass, because you are almost certain to step on somebody.

5. KM4NSV

Thank you very much it’s been a big help

6. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

or... spend another $25 and use a 2nd Boafeng for full-duplex operation.

(you will likely get desense on the receive side when you transmit, but there is no switching
    of VFOs)

K3RLD likes this.
  7. K9JKM

K9JKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many folks program 5 memory channels with an incremental 5 KHz channel step for the Doppler Shift on the 435 MHz uplink. The idea being start with Memory #1 when the satellite first approaches, then Memory 2 when it is above 20-30 degrees, then Memory 3 when the satellite is approaching its highest, then Memory 4 ... 5 as the satellite is departing. You'll find AMSAT's Fox Operating Guide at https://www.amsat.org/station-and-operating-hints/ ... it also has a summary of the frequencies for each step of the memory channel programming. Generally the 145 MHz downlink doesn't require Doppler tracking.

The CHIRP software works well to program my Baofeng UV-5R, I found a couple of the USB programming cables were quite fussy about drivers, etc. I was recommended to get this cable from amazon.com and it was quite easy to use ... almost plug 'n play:
    https://www.amazon.com/XLT-Painless...&sr=8-1&keywords=xlt+communications+rpc-k1-uf

--
    73 de JoAnne K9JKM

K6LCS and K3RLD like this.
  8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

By far the easiest way is with Chirp. The hardest way is manually.