ad: SDRKits-1

Heathkit SA-2060A Help Requested...

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KB1ZQ, Feb 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB1ZQ

KB1ZQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently purchased a USED Heathkit SA-2060A antenna tuner, the unit is in fair shape except for the Sensor / Antenna switch on the rear of the unit. A Previous Owner (PO) pulled the antenna switch (SW101), the fiberglass rod from the front to rear of the unit and all the ceramic insulators and balun. I can find the insulators and make a new balun. but the Switch is not available from anyone that I can find anymore. If someone knows of a source please drop me a line. If someone has a unit that is dead and still has the parts I need please drop me a line... this is a great tuner and would like to get it back on line. Thanks Hal, KB1ZQ

2. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe there is a switch that will fit from a different make tuner?

There was no tuner bypass switch position with the 2060 - I've got a 2060, but I use the Palstar AT1KM because it has a tuner-bypass position on the switch ...

3. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi kb1zq

I think that MFJ or Plastar will have a switch for sale as a repair part of their tuners.
    Like the switch of an MFJ 989 or 9982 or an AT2K tuner would do the job , it ad more possibilities so what.

73 Jos

4. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

That's on my to-do list is rewiring my 2060 to have a bypass position.

5. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hal I have repaired them by using the Ameritron band switch wafer. This ameritron band switch ring is ideal for the 2060a.the housing around this bandswitch has 2 bolt rings that will work perfect to bolt to the meter mount.You will have to saw off the back of shaft to same length as factory unit and turn the wafer ring to set how many positions you need the stops. Add more antenna port while your at it. This has a very firm and heavy snap to the band switch now and will never lose its alignment. You can buy a white driveway marker with reflectors and use the 1/4" fiberglass shaft to connect with the antenna switch.
    Tom N8ZI

6. KB1ZQ

KB1ZQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, for the reply; only one question I looked at the Ameritron website and there are two switches used. I am assuming you use the $134 one... I have ordered new SO-239 connectors as the center pins on all are in bad shape, I found phenolic 1/4" shaft material on eBay and have that material, Have a friend that has a 3D printer and he made me new Insulators for the sensor unit. I found some switches on ebay that very closely match the required switch, just waiting on some 2mm screws so I can move some contacts around to match the Heath Switch... So almost ready to tackle the repair... at this point I am not going to install the twin lead wiring and balun as I am not sure of the toroid size and rear insulator dimensions, I can get them printed when I get those... Will advise how things go when I get all the materials... Hal, KB1ZQ

7. N8ZI

Hal, I did not receive notification of your reply.
    This was many years ago so you might want to verify with the Ameritron guys, but I believe it was from the AL-80 series, since they are based off the Heathkit SB-1000 design and are essentially identical.
    Get a hold of Ameritron and have them send you detailed photos before purchasing. The guys at MFJ have always went out of their way to assist my inquiries.

8. N8ZI

Hal, with slight rewiring you should also be able to use the SW100 band switch wafer from Harbach. It is only $38 and identical in size and shape to the Heathkit SW101.

9. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to have a SA-2060A. Good tuner! I used a B&W transfer switch to bypass it.