Heathkit HW 101 transmit trouble

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WB9UBT, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
  1. WB9UBT

WB9UBT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have good power output on TUNE and CW but not on sidebands. I checked V1, replaced the four diodes in the balanced modulator circuit and checked the mode switch. Any ideas would be great!

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

You are talking into the microphone? You are activating the push to talk? Don't rely on the VOX! If so, then try a different microphone making sure it is high impedance.

If the microphone is OK, then start looking from the microphone jack forward.

Glen, K9STH

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The balanced modulator is placed into an unbalanced condition when you have an audio signal applied to it. The output of the balanced modulator is DSB and then you pass the DSB signal through the crystal filter and you now have SSB. So you don't have an audio signal being applied to the balanced modulator so there is nothing out.
    The manual for the HW-101 is available online at; http://gmcotton.com/Ham_Radio/MISC%20Manuals/Heathkkit/HW-101.pdf. It takes awhile for it to download so be hang in there.
    Hope this helps
    Gary

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It might be good to start with the basics.
    Check the microphone first.
    See if you have audio....

With that out of the way;
    See if the VOX circuit works,
    If it does you know the first audio stage is working...

Also I might add tube failures are rare.

5. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just went thru a hw 101 for a friend. Same problem. I went thru cleaned everything there was to clean, disassembled the relay and cleaned it. 100 watts on all bands!

6. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Also retighten all grounds....

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Always check the grounds.
    :)

8. WB9UBT

PTT

Yep, I am not using VOX, just the PTT.

I am going to go back and check the mic tonight, might be looking a bit too deep.

9. WB9UBT

I believe the relay is working because I am hearing it trip when I push the PTT on the mic.

10. WB9UBT

I tried VOX and no luck. I'm going to double check the mic and get that out of the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.