ad: dxeng

heathkit hd 11 Q multiplier?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KB2CRK, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member

i have a question on this little piece of equipment. i may have a chance at picking one up cheap and was wondering how difficult would it be to connect to my Heathkit HW 101? i have done a little research and i know what it is used for and have been told it is a helpful piece to have. has anyone used one here and how much work to get it hooked up?

thanks paul

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

CRK:

No way to reasonably modify the HD-11 (or the QF-1 or GD-125) to use with the HW-101. The HD-11 is set up for use with i.f. frequencies between 450 kHz and 460 kHz whereas the HW-101 has an i.f. frequency of 3395 kHz.

The HD-11 is the same as the QF-1 except that it has a built in power supply rather than "robbing" the power from the receiver.

When used with 455 kHz i.f. receivers the Q-Multiplier works very well. There was an article in the ARRL Hints & Kinks Manual during the late 1950s telling how to rewire the QF-1 to change the "broad" position to a variable bandpass. I made that modification (which takes no additional parts) to the QF-1 that I used with my original Hallicrafters S-85 receiver. In the variable bandpass position the bandwidth could be varied from under 100 Hz to well over 8 kHz.

Glen, K9STH

3. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member

thank you for the info glen. i have been at work these last two nights and it tends to get in the way of looking a lot of this stuff up...lol

thnks paul
    kb2crk

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

By the way, I keep threatening to connect one of my Heath QF-1 Q-Multipliers (I have several) to one of my Collins 75S-1 receivers. The other one has the Waters Q-Multiplier installed. The 75S-1 and 75S-2, as well as the KWM-2 series, have an RCA jack already connected for using one. The Waters only works as a rejection control and the 75S-3- series receivers came from the factory with a Q-multiplier as a rejection control. Using one of the Heath Q-Multipliers definitely improves the performance of a "stock" 75S-1 or 75S-2.

I also really need to modify one to have the variable bandpass and then connect it to my present Hallicrafters S-85 which is part of the re-creation of my 2nd primary station (Heath DX-100 and Hallicrafters S-85).

Glen, K9STH

5. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member

i used to have a kwm 2. i miss that radio. my hw101 works great but i could use a little help with adjacent frequency interference. one day i will get another kwm2 so i could have my 2 favorite radios side by side in the shack.
    a hw101 was my first hf rig and a kwm 2 was my second. the kenwood ts570dg is my third and my current hw101 is #4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.