ad: AlphaRF-1

Heathkit factory built and factory repaired "stickers"

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K9STH, Feb 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This information is also in the thread about my Heath SB-110A. However, many people probably have not looked at that thread and yet may be interested in this information. Therefore, another thread!

There were a very small number (when compared to the total units sold) of kits that were actually built at the Heath factory usually for display at the various Heathkit stores that were located around the country. Those kits had a "sticker" put somewhere on the unit that had a handwritten model number and a serial number. Serial numbers were not normally assigned to the basic kit units.

My SB-110A was factory built for display at the Heathkit store that was located on Ross Avenue in Dallas, Texas. Here is a photograph of the factory serial number "sticker":

sb-110A-2.JPG

Whenever an assembled kit was at the factory, either when it was actually factory built or when a kit was sent in for repair, a distinct "sticker" was put on the unit. Heath had a policy that they would repair, etc., any kit that the builder had problems getting going except for those that were assembled using acid core solder (using acid core solder negated any warranty on the unit). Here is a photograph of one of those stickers:

sb-110A-3.JPG

Glen, K9STH

AC0OB likes this.
  2. WA4ZYN

WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, Glen. Thanks for this information. I presently have an old HW-16 that I got cheap. It has a copper-plated chassis. Have you ever seen one of those? I posted pics of it on my qrz.com page. It's beautiful (to me). Anyway, it has one of those hand-written service stickers dated 1978. I notice that the two black cardboard electrolytic caps have been replaced with something different. I wonder if that was the service done to this rig.

Anyway, check out my pics!

Francis WA4ZYN

N2EY likes this.