ad: hrd-2

Headset mic

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by W1UWC, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W1UWC

W1UWC Ham Member QRZ Page

Any headset with mic for sale at reasonable cost?

2. KC1HOX

KC1HOX Ham Member QRZ Page

You can use most inexpensive headsets for computer gamers if you can use VOX as the ptt is an issue with these

3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Most PC headsets are electret elements & need a voltage to operate. Fortunately, most radios have an 8V (or close to) just for this purpose. If you like, I am sure someone can give you specific mods to make it work & others, you just need an adapter. My Icoms work well with cheap PC headsets & a $12 adapter cable. Now, I would make my own. Check Ebay for adapters. Most have a jack to key them also. I will have a noise cancelling mic hanging from the overhead console in my Tahoe & run a button to the lower console to key my Ic-7000. There will be another button for my ID880H. Probably relays, or a small interface board to use the same headset for both radios.
    If mobile, you should (Must depending on laws) have only 1 ear covered.
    What radio?

Ed

4. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't specify which radio you want to use it on, but the Koss SB-40 is a great headset. Dynamic element requires no bias voltage. I've used mine on a FT-1000 Field, FT-950, FT-2000 and now a PROIII and get great audio reports. The earphones are "over the ear" design and are comfortable for hours. Beats the socks off the old Proset 6 Elite I owned before it fell apart.

Best $40 I ever spent!

5. EA5AB

EA5AB Ham Member QRZ Page

existen muchos adaptadores en el mercado

6. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yamaha CM500.

7. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Translation: Many adaptors are available on the market

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with others on buying an adapter or making your own to run a cheap headset. The electret element is surely the best and only way to go. I've built a circuit to run one with my Kenwood V-71a on my motorcycle and it works amazingly well. I also converted two D-104 mics to electret and they do sound great both on FM and SSB. You'll find nothing beats the clarity and frequency response of a properly tuned electret element. Best of all you can do it for less than $20.

9. K4KP

K4KP Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this post is old, but I just got the KOSS SB40 and made my own adapter. Really impressed with the comfort and have gotten great audio reports from others. I do a net and these are perfect for that use. Running on a Yaesu FTDX1200 With eq settings set high on lows and highs notched on mids . MY .02 73