ad: Amateur-1

Headphones?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD7ICW, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Headphones

1. Yes

86.4%
  2. No

11.9%
  3. I use telepathy, duh

1.7%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AG5WC

AG5WC Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

A mish-mash of gear from different time periods, but it works!

W5BIB likes this.
  2. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, those headsets are pretty tight out of the box. But I found that with care the bales can be bent out pretty wide. I got mine to fit real nice. No discomfort.
    Sure is a crisp sound for CW!

W5BIB likes this.
  3. WA6FYD

WA6FYD Ham Member QRZ Page

I run RUFZXP training program on my MAC computer and need headphones to fit a pretty tiny plug-in socket. Wonder if Koss Pro-4AAs would work for me.
    WA6FYD -Jack

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a set. $$$
    They have a sound of their own much like a set of Bose 301 spkrs.
    For what I spent, I can't honestly say they work that well for me on CW... no real improvement.
    I like my Yaesu or hi impedance Mil fones better for CW.
    However, since they are designed to accentuate music, they are the best I've heard with my stereo.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone who would use a D104 with a TS 520 deserves the hard bakelite headfones making his ears bleed.

6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

JRC ST-3 headphones are superb. Still have a set. They may still be available from JRC’s marine communications division. I’ve been meaning to open mine up and convert to stereo.

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WAR SURPLUS HEADPHONES.jpg

8. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

A while back I bought a set of these HS-16A head phones. After figuring out how to make them comfortable, I love them. (You have to bend open the bales very carefully until you get a good fit. Phone to phone on mine are now 6" apart. Big head, I guess.)

A couple of features these have. First, the phones can be turned out so two people can hold a phone to their ear at the same time. (Yes, you have to take them off your head to do this.) It is great for the weird situation where you want someone else to hear what you are hearing.

Second, at least on mine, as you dial up into a CW frq the high pitch side fades in first in the left phone as you zero onto the frq, and then as you pass through the frq the descending pitch gets relatively stronger in the right phone as the tone fades away. High on the left. Low on the right. They balance at the zero pretty much. Don't know if this was a deliberate feature, or I just did some bad connector soldering and have different impedances right and left. Anyway, I make it useful. FWIW.

Oh, a third feature is that wearing them makes me look like Sgt. Kinchloe on Hogan's Heros. Except the tan. I'm working on that. ;)

K1LKP likes this.
  10. NB8F

NB8F Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A pair of bose noise cancelling headphones. Comfortable and I can hear pretty well.