Headphones?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ7GFW, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Headphones

1. Yes

85.4%
  2. No

12.5%
  3. I use telepathy, duh

2.1%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AG5WC

AG5WC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ordered a set of HS-16A headphones too. I'm hesitant to snip off the pin tip plugs that are on it to wire up a 1/4" plug; do you guys know a source for adapters?

Edit: I could of course make do with a pair of alligator clips but that's ugly and a little janky.

WA1GXC, N8AFT and W5BIB like this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think you'll find any sort of adapter.

Wish I was getting a sales commission.

Al

W5BIB likes this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...without thinking, I snipped the pin tips off ! :eek: There are four (4) wires inside the cable; Red, White, Black, & Green. Each wire is only about 4 or 5 strands of very thin wire, but with patience, I was able to splice the Red/White & Black/Green onto a 1/4" mono phone-jack.

In hindsight, I'd go the alligator clips route. Just use a cable long enough so that the alligator clip splice, can be hidden behind something & out of sight.

I wore these headphones for many hours on many missions during Vietnam and other duty stations during my 9 years in the Navy as a Morse intercept operator, often listening to two (2) R390A's (one in each ear) !!

I just ordered another set to keep "New in the box" (unmolested) for my new grand-son that will be born on Monday (Aug. 26th) :D I figure that by the time he's my age (72) - these things will be about as rare as a 1963 split-window Corvette is now !! :p

dit dit

M6GYU likes this.
  4. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You must have got the deluxe model,mine only had two wires:

headset.jpg

5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kinda strange,... on the plug end, it's Red, White, Black, & Green - On the earpieces, on one ear it's Red & Tan. On the other ear, it's Green & Tan !

At a intercept position (2 receivers) the pins plugged into a box with a 3 position switch on it.
    Position 1 - right receiver (both ears)
    position 2 - left receiver (both ears)
    position 3 - both receivers, one receiver left ear, one receiver right ear (the control station in one ear & the outstation in the other)

I wish mine did have just 2 wires !! Those wires in the 4 leads were very tiny & delicate for my 72 year-old eyes & hands !! :rolleyes:

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

DO NOT CUT THESE PINS OFF...
    The wires inside are the fine stranded telephonic type with fabric core, vy difficult to solder....
    Google antique head phones for a source of the 1/4 inch plug to pins adapters.
    ALSO eBay is a fair source as well as Fair Radio in Lima, OH.

N7BKV likes this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

The 3rd wire is spliced on up stream at the head set band....

8. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ooooooh, OM, I want to counsel you to consider this:

Those pin-tips are mechanically crimped onto the very flexible tinsel-wire conductors. You can of course snip them off, wrap thin (maybe 26AWG) wire tightly

around the strands, and solder the wire and pigtail to your 1/4" PL-55. But if you can wait, the ideal thing is to find the correct phone plug. There is

an old and obsolete phone plug style made especially for those tips. It looks like the world's fattest PL-55 with slotted blades under the attach screws for the

pins. I don't know if any are readily available at

retail surplus electronics, but I find them all the time at hamfests. Usually sitting in a box of junk from some real old ham's cellar. I only caution you because

once you make the leap, you can't undo the deed.

I will look around online and see if any place has them listed. G L

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They fit Fahnestock clips perfectly. Buy two (they're very cheap) and mount them on "something," anything. Then wire a cable with a 1/4" phone plug on one end to the two clips.

No need to cut anything.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Binding posts will also accommodate some/most/all old high-impedance headphone pins. I used them on my type '19 Doerle Twinplex regen.