HDD or SSD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G4COE, Jul 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering, that's all.

Anyone still using HDD these days? Yes I know SSD drives are faster and the 'in thing'. If a new drive was required which type would you go for.... and would there be a preferred usage, i.e. main drive, back up or storage etc.

Dave

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

SSD all the way.
    I do have 4-1TB spinny disks in a 10 array for backup.
    Even better, if you have a fairly modern computer, the new NVME drives plug right onto the PCIE bis & are extremely fast. 1TB is the size of a stick of gum.

Ed

3. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Like any tool, depends upon the use.s

For desktop OS and boot drives, SSD. For large amounts of static storage, still cheaper to use traditional hard drives. For now, at least.

4. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still use "conventional" HDD for backups and offline storage. For the primary OS and program drives - SSD all the way. Even older (10+year) machines with a SATA drive interface will greatly benefit from the addition of a SSD. Inexpensive way to keep those older machines relevant.

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I use HDDs for all of my computers for one reason: longevity. SSDs are certainly faster for read / write operations, but have far fewer cycles before they give out.... and when they do give out, it's virtually impossible to recover the stored data. Sure HDDs are a little slower, but not nearly as much as some folks would lead you to believe.

Unless your application requires very fast I/O, like some games, you are better served in the long run by sticking with HDDS.

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I use both types (HDD for backups, SSD for main drive), but limit to using 7200 RPM HDDs since I'm 60 years old and won't live long enough to restore a large backup from a 5400 RPM drive.

KD0KZE likes this.
  7. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya' all just about persuaded my thoughts guess I'm a bit like an old inductor.... never resonating and always opposing.

I do use a smallish SSD now and then as a test bed drive to stop me messing the main drive up when I try altering things and try different bits of software, by the way I'm on Win 7 and have XP SP3 on a older machine.

Thank you for the replies, ya' made me wanna' go spend money on a SSD now.

Dave

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  9. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it depends on your definition of long run. I'm still using two SSD's (Patriot Pyros) I installed back in 2011. No issues so far. One is formatted Btrfs "partitionless" and has been running Archlinux since day one. The other is a Mint (Ubuntu) install (formatted Ext4) that has been in use almost as long.

A little slower? Run some drive throughput tests. On my ancient machines, the spinning platters were good to hit 20-25MBps. Same machine with SSD? 250-260MBps. The performance bump was very noticeable.

Those speeds are on my old SSDs. I'm sure a modern SSD would smoke them. :)

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would rather have reliability than speed.

I have 20+ year old HDD spinners that still work just fine.

Time will tell how long a SSD will really last. I am sure Windows 10 will kill many of them in short order. :rolleyes: