ad: Waters-2

Haven't Seen Much About Murphy Lately. Sooo.....

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KO6WB, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
  1. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a short list of things you can expect whenever Murphy gets involved;
    Prototypes and Production.
    1. Any wire cut to length - will be short.
    2. Identical Circuits. Tested under identical conditions will NOT be identical in practice.
    3. The availability of a component is inversely proportional to the need for the component.
    4. If a project requires "N" components, there will be "N-1" in stock.
    5. If a particular Resistance is needed, that value will not be available, furthermore, it cannot be made up of series/parallel combinations.
    6. A dropped tool, will always fall where it will do the most damage. (Also known as the selective law of gravitation).
    7. If you connect a Three Phase Line, the Phase sequence will be wrong.
    8. A Motor will always rotate in the wrong direction.

9. Interchangeable parts - Won't !.
    10. Components that must not (and cannot) be assembled wrong - Will be.
    11. A DC Meter will always be on an overly sensitive range, and will be wired into circuit in the wrong direction.
    12. If a circuit cannot fail, it will.
    13. A Failsafe Circuit will destroy others.
    14. A Transistor protected by a fast acting fuse, will protect the fuse by blowing first.
    15. A Self Starting Oscillator - wont start.
    16. A Crystal Oscillator will oscillate at the wrong frequency, If it works at all.
    17. If a PNP Transistor is required. Only NPN will be in stock.
    18. In any given estimate, the cost of the equipment will exceed the estimate by a factor of 3.

Does this bring back any memories?
    Have fun
    Gary

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The contributions of Edsel Murphy on the behavior of inanimate objects. As published in the Proceedings of the IEEE!

Glen, K9STH

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

The smallest component will always fall into the most inaccessible location where it can do the most damage.

The corollary to Murphy's law is; There is no problem so technically complex that it can not be solved by brute force and ignorance.

4. N9ZMO

N9ZMO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are days that I swear Murphy is a family relative.

5. N7GH

N7GH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is what I've found recently:

No matter how well nor now many years a rig h as worked for you, it will have problems never before manefest when it arrives at the new buyer's.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If a breadboard circuit works as designed, the final PC board version will not function (no matter how many wire jumpers and cut traces are used...)

7. WY5V

WY5V Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  8. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

John Murphy?

Sad but true:

When the new antenna for portable operation proves to be a smoking hot performer, the XYL will get huffy & cut short the vacation stay because resort maintenance keeps pestering for access.

She insists it's nonsense to replace a grease ring in our condo when the unit beneath ours is the one with the wet ceiling; replace THEIR grease ring, whatever that is!

9. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you've done it!

73, Jim N3AWS

10. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

About the time I became interested in amateur radio I bought a large wall poster of Murphy's Law. It has prepared me well for all sorts of life experiences.

Those of us familiar with programming know this one all too well:

There is always one more bug.

And when working on something delicate:

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

While not necessarily Murphy's Law although closely related:

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem.

And on a vintage motorcycle forum some years back I coined the following:

Nate's old bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
    Murphy's Corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding!

11. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

My Big Boss in Korea (PACAF Surgeon General) was named Murphy!!!

(By the way--he was a GREAT BOSS!)

[For you, sir, just in case you are reading this forum...] Murphy's Law, ya know..... :rolleyes:

12. W7JZE

W7JZE QRZ Lifetime Member #84 QRZ Page

Murphy's rule of projects:

• The first 50% of any project will consume 90% of the budget
    • The next 50% of any project will consume 90% of the budget
    • The final 50% of any project will consume 90% of the budget

It's a "Three-Fer" [​IMG].

13. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh! I work at installing a lot of large equipment. It always amazes me how in better than 75% of installations, when you first fire the machine up, it spins backwards and you have to shut down and swap around a couple phases. It doesn't matter what you do, it will probably be wrong.

14. N7GH

N7GH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is always one more bug.

And if you program in MS Products you know this one: "It's a feature."

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem.

Even in an electrical problem: if it cannot be fixed with a hammer, it was obviously a design flaw (of feature if from MS).

15. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, is that 170% over budget? Or is it 50% more work then you should be putting into it?
    I know...I know...it's that new math they threw at me when I was in the fourth grade. Barely knew how to count to 100 and now they wanted me to do binary, octal, hexadecimal and other very strange numerical bases. Make no wonder I'm on heavy med's now:rolleyes:! The math actually did come in handy when I was involved in computers and their programming way back when.
    BTW if there is one last bug in a computer program that needs to be resolved. The customer will cancel the order at that point!
    Have fun
    Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.