ad: hrd-2

Have you worked CY9M?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by AC0FP, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
  1. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I know that CY9M is a "fish in the barrel" for the Northeastern coast of the USA. More of challenge in other parts of the country/world, particularly if your running 100 watts!

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

Worked them a bit earlier tonight. Easy.
  3. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, on 30M with 100W to my attic antenna. Hardest part was picking out his pattern in the pileup.
  4. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. As usual waiting until after the pileup thinned out resulted in a fun and satisfying QSO.
  5. NW9R

NW9R Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked them on a couple of bands, but where I need them, they are never on. Mainly working EU and East Coast. Would like a 40/12 meter CW QSO as well as 10 meters, but bands have been pretty dead on the higher frequencies. Not a fish in the barrell like E Coast or EU.

Noticed they are hanging on 15 and 17 SSB a lot. Would love a 6 meter, but not from here. Prop on 6 is a bust this time of year unless some freak opening happens.
  6. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not had a radio for about 30 days, it broke. New one arrives tomorrow, and I will surely work them!
  7. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not EXACTLY "Fish in a barrel" from SW Pennsylvania,
    but yeah.

11 band/mode slots so far.

Phone: 15-17 & 20
    CW: 10-12-15-30-40-80
    Dgi: 17-20

With (hopefully) more to come.
  8. AB1OD

AB1OD Guest

Got them on 6, 17, and 20 phone; and 30, 40, 80, and 160 CW. I don't really have the antennas to get there on 10-15, so I'm not terribly surprised that I haven't heard them well on those bands...but then again, I didn't really have the antennas to get them on 6 either. Given how short this DXpedition is, I probably won't try to round out band/mode slots, unless I find them when no one is calling.

The exception is that I would still like to pick up one digital contact. I've also tried listening for their PSK63 calls when they were spotted while in the shack, but have so far had no success.

I like it when the rare ones are this easy to get to. It's nice payback for struggling to get through the EU wall on 7O, or the usual challenge of propagation to the far side of the planet.
  9. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked them on 15 CW and 30 CW. 30 was very easy, only took one call. I heard them very well on 40 CW last night around 0200Z, but the pileup was a little too crazy - too many guys calling on their freq and of course lots of "frequency police" sending UP UP UP. I tried for a few minutes but no cigar. Their CW ops were first class though....nice job.
  10. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They were about 55 on 20m SSB on Saturday morning working simplex during the IOTA contest. We went back and forth about 5 times, but he only got November Eight something Mike.

Then I found them on 20m PSK63 at about 0110 last night. Called for a few minutes until they went QRT. Pounced on them as soon as they got back and then a DX cop sending "UP UP UP UP" crushed their confirmation to me. Without an online log, I needed a insurance QSO (I hate doing that), and got into the log for sure a couple of minutes later.

Glad I got this one after two straight failures with 7O6T and 1A0C.
  11. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Try them on 40 CW around 1000 Z. Got them on the 2nd call, once I figured out exactly where they were listening.
  12. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought this would be easy, but not so. No COPY here on the West Coast! I can copy all other East Coast stations, but these guys must either be QRPP or have the beams toward EU. I have listenned many times and not a PEEP! Wonder what the deal is?
  13. N8HM

They've been weak here in Washington, DC too. I would have expected a much stronger signal over a 1,024 mile path on 20m. They have 5 amps for 6 stations and decent antennas, so I'm not sure why the signals are weak. Even if they were barefoot, I would expect a stronger signal on that path. Their PSK63 signal last night was pretty strong, but with some QSB. SSB signals are never better than S5-S7. No copy on 15m and up (the signals must be bouncing over me on the higher bands).

14. N8HM

By the way, why is St. Paul Island a separate DXCC entity? Under which criteria does it qualify?
  15. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked them on 40m SSB and 30m CW in Rockville (few miles from you) around 0030Z. They were strong on both of those bands. The low bands are the way to go.
  16. N8HM

Unless you live in an apartment! I didn't check 30. That's as low as I can go on my MFJ magnetic loop. Still, thousand mile paths are generally very, very easy on 20m. I wonder if there's some obstruction in between their 20m antennas and the east coast or if I've been listening when they are pointed towards Europe.
  17. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked em on a few bands, including 6m. 1 or 2 bands took a little while, the others were within a couple of calls.
  18. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot tomorrow morning.
  19. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

It qualified under the old "separate administration" criteria. That criteria no longer exists under the current rules, but entities that qualified under it remain on the list, "grandfathered"
  20. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty easy from the Pocono's in far eastern PA.
    20, 17, 15, 12, 10 SSB
    20, 15 CW so far.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.