ad: wmr-1

Has Anyone Used EQSL?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, Apr 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thought I would check for the heck of it looks like you got me beat.

"There are 1553 eQSL cards waiting to be retrieved"

2. KI7VFW

KI7VFW QRZ Member QRZ Page

Two completely legit answers, from opposite ends of the spectrum. I definitely side more with the latter comment, although I guess I can accept the former if logging and confirming qsos isn't really a part of your radio experience. YMMV as usual.

3. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

As a newcomer to ham radio, but ex naval radio op, I find the whole business of QSL cards rather odd/interesting.

Having once collected stamps as a boy I can see the attraction of getting QSL cards, but I see no reason to re-confirm by post or electronically the fact that I've just swapped calls, RST, names or whatever ever with some one on the air .

Although I started logging on QRZ.com, I then got confused by the purpose of eQSL and thought that would replace paper QSL cards. Now most of my QSO's are obtained through SOTA and therefore thats where I log those QSO's.

For me the fact that I got a QSO on the radio, logged it somewhere/anywhere is conformation enough that I made that QSO, unless I ever need to log it elsewhere for some certificate/contest or whatever..

I can't prove that in 1969, I exchanged QRK/QSA with Tristan Dah Cunha Radio Station, or spoke to my old school friend who was sailing off the coast of Taiwan in a tanker whilst I operated the Ship/shore station in Gibraltar. But I know I did. ;-)

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand that. (I'm curious to know what the "mundane activities" are.) Most hams are end users who have not spent decades in jobs where they had to jack with software all day to get code to run without throwing exceptions. If your day job is IT the last thing you want to do at home is mess with a computer.

M6GYU likes this.
  5. AC3BU

AC3BU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll admit that "mundane activities" was used in the wrong context. But the fact that I can enter a call sign and have the date, time, frequency, and mode automatically filled in does save me time from having to write all that information down. I understand the appeal of paper logs but don't necessarily agree that they save valuable radio time.

I've been a computer programmer since the late 70s and still enjoy messing with a computer. Like any pursuit the amount of interest does wax and wane at times.