ad: GNOHF-1

Has Anyone Used EQSL?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, Apr 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't do any kind of eQSL, LOTW etc., I never asked for an eQSL account but if I remember right, one was created for me without my asking, I deleted it, or disabled it, and respond promptly to paper cards sent to me and filled out by hand, i.e. a REAL QSL for a REAL QSO just like I have done since 1972. Worked then, works now just like writing and mailing checks to pay bills. Why change when what you have done works. Unsigned QSLs with nothing but a computer generated label saying 599 7 MHz go in the round file. I don't respond by hand to a computer label.

KE4OH likes this.
  2. KI7VFW

KI7VFW QRZ Member QRZ Page

Why is it some of you guys refuse to make use of the internet-based logging? I could understand it if you didn't have a computer or the internet, but obviously every one of you does- you're here. Is it simply for the sake of nostalgia? I'll agree, they are built on websites that seem to predate compuserve and aol- but still, they are so much faster than, and undoubtedly easier to keep track of and sort through, actual physical cards.

3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am really new to this, and I find most of the logging programs are a little intimidating. Maybe if I had been using computer logbooks for 10 years it wouldn't seem so bad as the features would have been incremental.

I understand that contesting can generate hundreds (thousands ?) of contacts and the main idea is to track progress for various awards. However, the program doesn't just log the QSO, it also shows PSK Reporter, does rig control and positions the antenna. This is probably essential for the experienced operator, but it is overwhelming for a beginner.

I hope that eQSL will provide a little of the thrill of a real QSL card, at a time when postage is very expensive. And I hope I get verifications and that I'm not swamped with fake QSO's.

I also plan to upload to LoTW to help others, though I don't think I will pursue any ARRL awards. (The application process for WAS reminds me of IRS forms...)

So, to the OP's question about eQSL, I hope it provides some "return on investment", but there doesn't seem to be a consistent opinion on it. Some think it is wonderful and others hate it. I guess the only way I'm going to find out is to actually use it. :)

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In my case, it's because "I don't care."

I have about 40,000 paper QSL cards accumulated from >50 years of operating, and that's enough. I have no idea what to do with all these, and when I croak I'm sure the XYL or someone will dispose of them. They now occupy three large moving cartons in the garage, filled with shoeboxes of cards that hold about 200-250 cards per shoebox. They're very heavy and I haven't moved them since the moving van put them there.

So, I QSL 100% (paper) for all cards received, no matter who they're from or how they got here. I don't send any at all "in advance," only reply to those received. Keeps me busy enough.:p

5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA Ham Member QRZ Page

I use it. but not as a regular task. I find that if I dont look there every month theres a pile to deal with.
    Still have paper qsls from 1970, will mail if I get one or if its something I want.
    I use winlog32, it does everything I want on a log book and it looks like the old arrl logbooks I used for years.
    It will export in eqsl format, qrz and lotw. if I click on a qso on the list, it will export from that on which is nice. I only have wsjtx auto-entering into it. Normally its just via the kybd.
    I export from it into qrz and since I joined up, theres updating back and forth with lotw. Every few days I ask for a download from lotw and get some confirmations.
    I try to export to eqsl every couple weeks. If you arent a member there you can only pick from their selection, some paying users have created some really fantastic looking qsls. If I want to print any of the cards I download, I can go to walmart at the picture "print n pay"

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done eQSL, LoTW, and paper. I've pared it down to LoTW because that is where most of the action is from my experience. Once you commit to a decent logging program eQSL or LoTW are just a click away. Easy.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I upload to them all...it only takes a few seconds. If you are setup for one then you are setup for all since they use the same ADIF format. Some guys want only this or that or US contacts only via QRZ and 6m only via eQSL and DX contacts after 2013 only via LoTW and only on days of the Full Moon. Whatever. Crikey, upload them all and be done with it!
    Oh..the main log in my shack consists of pencil and paper and I send paper QSL replies and many requests.

KI7VFW likes this.
  8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a computer-free ham shack. I have a computer obviously, but no way will it ever get involved with radio. Why? Because computers suck. If there were a way to do what I do without one I'd ditch it in a second. But nowadays if you want parts, etc. you got to have one. I have friends who are all wrapped up with computer logging, QSLing blah blah and guess what--they spend a huge amount of time diddling with their computer instead of operating RADIO. Feh.

K3XR likes this.
  9. AC3BU

AC3BU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a computer in the ham shack. Why? Because computers are good at performing mundane activities accurately which gives me more time to operate the RADIO.

10. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

There I was, sittin' on the Group W bench...

No, wait. Wrong tune. There I was, working on a project and listening to 30m with half an ear. (At my age, half an ear is doing good...)

An unusual call -- HK5 -- came drifting through the ether. So I put down the soldering iron and grabbed the key.

Now that we've had the QSO I discover he does EQSL. I'm not really opposed to it, just haven't needed it before now. Pretty much a paper log/paper card guy.

But I guess I'll be figuring it out for the DX station. Wouldn't bother for a closer station.

Chuck VE7PJR