ad: NXPsemi-1

Harry Johnson's 3 element 6 meter hex beam

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W8NSI, May 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in 2007, Harry (WB3BEL) published some plans for a 3 element hex beam for 6 meters.
    I just located his web page on another search... has anyone had any experience with it the hex beam? I am going to give it a try. I have not been on 6 meters for about 35 years, back when it was an infamous TVI band. I used to transmit on my Heathkit HX30 and magically the phone started ringing. I could not find a time of day when the old biddy across the block wasn't watching television.

The (wb3bel@yahoo.com) email address here on Harry's QRZ page is no good. If someone knows Harry, give him a bump about updating his QRZ info.

Thanks and 73 de w8nsi Jim

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    NH7RO likes this.
  2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

While I never built Harry's I did buy a Traffie 6m Hexbeam about twenty years ago. It's the standard two-element Hex and I still have it and use it occasionally. That is a good compact beam for six that is small and light enough to use for portable ops, too. At one time I even mounted it on a telescoping mast attached to my car so I could be on the air in a minute or two when parked.

Harry's version is likely a tad better but if you can't get a hold of him I'd try building it as pictured---or try a Moxon or H-double bay wire beam instead.

Gain will be about the same, roughly speaking, and they're easy to make.

Jeff

W8NSI likes this.
  3. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Jeff. I have started and am looking forward to it. I want to try some JS8Call mode with it on 6.

Thanks and 73 de w8nsi Jim

NH7RO likes this.
  4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

You're welcome. I look forward to getting home next month and working some ssb Es openings with my H-double bays---and maybe I'll rig up my Hex on the car again when I do. Let us know if you build Harry's 3L, too. So many antennas, so little time...

Jeff (diehard 6m nut)

PS: Thank you for your service! Just read your QRZ page...

5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed (Fully addicted to 6 meters)

NH7RO likes this.
  6. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

What is your question ? If it is about shifting the frequency up to the more common digital areas, you could remove 0.2" from each side of every element (0.4" end to end). But if you also like to operate CW you might leave it as is and see how it works for you.

NH7RO likes this.