Harrison Radio, NYC any images??

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WB2GCR, Nov 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Was really wanting to see pix of Harrison Radio's store in NYC, like it was in the old QST ads.
    Can't find a single image online!

Anyone know of any??

_-_-

2. WB2GCR

Harrison Radio was at one time the depository of "ham radio dreams" in that they had rows and
    rows of shelves chock full of just about every rig under the sun.

All the radios that a kid would lust for and want, but could not possibly afford.

ARC-5s for a couple of bucks is all we could handle...

Hard to imagine that no images of Harrison have survived to this day!

3. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked myself, found references to it but no pictures...maybe someone can post pictures of those old QST ads...

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Found this site not just specific to Harrison Radio but still interesting with photos of Radio Row etc.
    "As you walked beyond the immediate Radio Row area north on Greenwich where it joined West Broadway, Harrison Radio was located at #10 West Broadway -- a ham's paradise for equipment. Several subway stops north would place you on Canal St., another long street of surplus supplies covering radio, electrical, plastics, and everything else. TAB ("That's a Buy"), a surplus store, was at 512 Broadway and 6 Church St. Grand Central Radio was at 45th St. near Madison, and there were several other stores at 14th St. around Union Sq., Packard, etc."
    [​IMG]
    http://nyc-architecture.com/GON/GON031.htm
    also search under Radio Row and Canal St.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 2:56 PM
  5. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too have been unable to find any online photos of Harrison Radio. A quick search of the QST archive did not find any "articles" under Harrison or Harrison's. Unfortunately I don't have time to search the QST adverts in my other files, which are NOT available in the QST archives. b.

6. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a photo that appeared in a Harrison ad in the back of the 1964 edition of the ARRL Handbook.

Harrison Radio.JPG

N4FLF, KV6O, KQ9J and 3 others like this.
  7. WB2GCR

Yep, dat be da place... but I'd really like to find a GEN-U-WINE photograph!

Wonder if the ARRL kept all the advertising originals in a basement??

8. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is that not a GEN-U-WINE photo?

I visited Harrison a number of times and it look pretty much just like that -- complete with the banner.

The "original" photo --certainly long gone-- would have been in the hands of the advertising agency that did the ad layout, not the ARRL. They, or more likely their printer, would have received just the ad layout "mat".

9. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

OK guys, try to ID as many of the radios in this ad as you can. Ready, GO!