Hard Disk Crash, My First and it Sucks..............

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, May 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KY0L

KY0L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve been using disk imaging software for decades. It’s extremely important to have a good back up of your computers, because your computer can become nonfunctional without warning, in a heartbeat.

I used imaging for Windows and Linux. Time Machine works well for the Mac. I imaged Windows Servers at work, before I became a retired IT professional.

It’s very important to periodically test your recovery process, before you need to do an actual recovery. With a simple single boot drive home computer, you can do your test recoveries onto a spare ‘test’ hard drive.

Once you go through the painful process of trying to scratch build a computer, you’ll never want to repeat that annoying and time consuming process again! Don’t let your image get too old. Take a new image ever month or every quarter. It’s also possible to do automated daily backups. An image that’s a year or more is usually too old.

When you scratch build a computer, it’s a good idea to take periodic images during the build process, in case something gets screwed up during the build process. Then you never have to restart the build process from the beginning.

Some people never learn from their mistakes after they get burned with computer problem. Drastically reduce the chances that you’ll ever be burned again when, not if, your computer fails again.

Dave. KY0L

2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well then there's the other extreme... Don't keep anything of vast importance on your computer, and if it crashes, or gets "wanna cry", toss it in the trash and buy an updated model.

I just keep a few files of interest on a thumb drive, and operate as above.

3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

The trick is to learn from other people's mistakes.

The latest tool in my Mac's arsenal is Roxio's Toast Burn so I can burn data to blu-ray discs; between Time Machine, Carbon Cloner, and that my data's covered. : )

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to say, but thumb drives ALSO fail! depending upon design, EVERY write or seek reduced the drive's lifetime. CD's are cheap, and more permanent (at least the quality ones) than hard drives or thumb drives, although they are only static storage, so meed to be replaced at intervals, either weekly or monthly, (etc.) as needed. It depends upon how much recent "data" you can afford to lose.

5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

True... So if two computers and the thumb drive all fail at the same time, I'm hosed. Probability?

6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Multiple copies in multiple locations is how you protect critical data, preferably with some of it offline so malicious actions can't take it out. All my critical data is protected via multiple copies in house, as well as copies at Backblaze and Amazon. At Amazon, the data is stored via Glacier which designed for long term archiving.

7. WA9SVD

Not too likely to occur simultaneously, but inevitable, eventually. Frequent backups (depending upon your needs) CD's offer static back-up, so you only (potentially) lose data entered since your last back-up. In the meantime, you can use thumb drives, or hard drives, but the CD's (or DVD's) prevent you from losing everything. Multiple backups are mandatory of critical data.

8. WA9SVD

How true. BUT is it probable that there are simultaneous failures of multiple data media? If it's so important, keep it at a second site. (Or at least in a "fire-proof" box along with wills, insurance info, etc.) Otherwise, you are still "hosed" even if you had no back-ups at all.:(

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Try this Overclockers. Many high-quality hardwware products for you."

Why would I want to overclock my drive ?

10. WA9SVD

But even thumb drives can, and eventually WILL, fail. Depending upon the design and parts, some drives will "wear out" the memory chips with EVERY read-write cycle; the FAT section can go in a few years if the drive is used often. Once that is gone, the drive doesn't even make a "bad" paperweight.

N0TZU likes this.