Hard Disk Crash, My First and it Sucks..............

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, May 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Last time I lost data was in 1993. (edit: I trusted Microsoft backup...) There are several strategies for backing up data. Some rely on others (less reliable if you ask me) and some are totally reliant on the user (I find that more reliable.) The most important step in a backup strategy is the discipline required when that data is created or acquired. Most people don't have the discipline necessary. It usually takes people one or two times of losing all data to figure out a backup strategy that works for them. Some people never figure it out. And some people refuse to follow through on a suggested strategy for them. Some people are familiar with the definitions of RAID. My backup strategy exceeds the definition of RAID 10. I don't use any compression, I don't do incrementals, I don't do differentials and I don't use "the cloud". I can lose up to 6 of my backup drives and still be able to do a full recover. It depends how bad you don't want to lose data and how much discipline you have.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Famous last words I hear from clients.: "I was GONNA back-up tomorrow...:(:rolleyes:"

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I converted to Mac the same year you did....right after retiring I swore off of MS and haven't missed them.

I did invest in a MS Windows 10 machine for my shack...I'm not convinced Apple has the ham market adequately covered.
    My other hobby is music and I'm convinced MS does not have the music studio adequately covered!

N0TZU likes this.
  4. F8BDX

F8BDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Seagate DiscWizard free version for the ghost

5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Acronis is a life saver. I've had to restore several images and it works like a charm.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

6. WA9SVD

Many of the "solutions" apply only BEFORE a hard crash occurs. A TRUE HD hardware crash is usually unrecoverable (except through VERY $$$$ ) techniques a user is usually unable to utilize. (Can you say "clean room," etc.?) Back-up is the only true insurance, done frequently. Some methods only b/u data; others create a full image, and some give an option of both. The disadvantage is that a frequent "image b/u" will also copy any malicious software or malware originally present.

7. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

What is it the OS repair CD does?

I thought you boot to the BIOS, select the repair CD and the computer rebuilds broken or missing OS files. No?

8. WA9SVD

IF the hard drive has experienced a TRUE hardware failure, booting from a CD, thumb drive, or anything else is an experience in frustration, ending, ultimately, in failure. If there is simply an OS crash or corruption, booting from alternative media (such ad CD, DVD, etc,) repair MAY rebuild the OS, but usually doesn't rebuild data files, etc. for good or ill.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I gave up on the backup software years ago. I was using Acronis but the one time I needed it, the restore function would not work. I'm pretty sure it was operator error but I was compulsive about doing exactly what the directions said during my backups but it still wouldn't work.

I install the OS on a small C drive (now an SSD) and I install all the programs and data on the D Drive, both drives I have in a RAID 1 configuration. I had one of the SSD drives holding the OS die. I slipped in a new one and VOILA, all better.

Important data is backed up to a Synology NAS, which I have in a RAID 5 configuration.

My ham computer, which I use ONLY for ham radio applications, has a single 1TB SSD. My log is backed up every day to my 2nd computer as well as Dropbox. If my SSD fails, I'll be reloading the software on the new drive. Sure, it will take some time but I'll also have a fresh install of Windows.

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the key tenets in data protection is testing. You can backup all you like, but if you never test the restore process it's a complete gamble. We used to joke about a business model... "1-800-4BACKUP" and "1-900-RESTORE" Backups have zero value on their own. Restores are what you want.

W4PG likes this.