Hard Disk Crash, My First and it Sucks..............

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, May 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

CloudBerry to Amazon S3 is good too. This costs about $1.35 per month for a third of a terabyte and a quarter of a million files storage. Downloading it all would cost a little bit because they charge for outgoing traffic.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 8.32.45 AM.png

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Being an Apple convert since 2013, all my data is transparently mirrored in iCloud and also locally on a Time Machine disc. The OS can be installed on the replacement drive using the semi-automated Internet Recovery process if I don’t have a bootable clone to use, but thankfully I’ve not had to do this.

The physical drive replacement would be a bit of a hassle though because of how tightly my Macs (iMac and Mac Mini) are assembled.

I’ve never had a drive crash at home, but have had completely crashed drives on Win machines at work. Being a disc drive company, the drives for our machines were reliability test survivors and after that their failure rates were naturally a bit higher. :eek:

BTW drives are graded and the best ones go to the computer OEMs, while the rest go to distribution for sale individually to the public. And OEMs vary in the quality level they demand.

WD0BCT likes this.
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you offer any insight as to which brand is better/best? I remember one of our former network guys refusing to buy Western Digital or Seagate because of QC issues. (I can't remember which one.)

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I use CloudBerry to archive to AWS Glacier, same idea but cheaper as I don't ever intend to restore it unless I lose my primary and local backup (fire, flood, etc.) and my Backblaze restore fails, pretty unlikely. But it's cheap insurance for archival data (photos, video) that will never change at about $1 a month. Mostly 20 years of digital photography work, some video as well. I could burn it to DVD/BluRay and put it in a safe deposit box, but that would cost more, and be much harder to keep up-to-date.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That may have been the drives that had the BIOS code on the platter instead of a on board chip.

I avoid them also. If sector zero get corrupt, It is done, Brain dead and recovery is almost impossible.

WD started that nonsense to save on the price of a BIOS IC, And to sell more junk drives cheap. o_O

I have at least 3 in my brick yard.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They each have their problems from time to time. Quality problems are more a model specific issue rather than a company issue. The new technologies coming soon of HAMR (Seagate) and MAMR (WD) are going to have teething pains no matter what.

7. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at the data compiled by Backblaze. I buy HGST and Western Digital. WD now owns HGST. I haven't had a failure in the SATA era, except for one 250GB 2.5" Toshiba swapped out of one of my 2011 vintage Dell laptops (before it failed). I dropped it while fooling around with one of my Raspberry Pi machines.

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

Ted, KX4OM

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You did the 5G test ? :oops:

KB2SUJ likes this.
  9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Although promising, Backblaze (and the like) wouldn't work for us because we have a metered Internet connection...unlike you better-off subscribers that have unlimited ones. : P

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

WA9SVD's 28th LAW:

Your computer's hard drive WILL fail, the day BEFORE you "meant" to do a back-up.

Corollary: Hard drives fail WHEN they want, but will fail, There is NO "IF" involved.

2nd Corollary: Saying I was "gonna back-up tomorrow" only works with time machines.

3rd Corollary: Even hard drive based back-ups WILL crash. It is just a matter of WHEN.

4th Corollary: Backup REALLY important files and data in multiple media and in different places.