Hard Disk Crash, My First and it Sucks..............

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, May 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Macrium Reflect is what I use for Windows, the free version. For Linux, I use Clonezilla, free and open source. It will also work for Windows.

I have a "dock" that connects via USB or eSATA and employs swappable hard drives, either 2.5" or 3.5". The one I have has one slot for the drive, but they are available with 2 slots. They start at about $20. Any external drive unit, or an internal drive for that matter, can be used. I have 7 PCs, and I move the dock between them and regularly create images of the OS partition. I always use separate partitions for data, which keeps the images relative small. Several images will be stored on each of my spare hard drives. I alternate which OS images are stored on each spare drive in case of a failure of one of the spares. I use simple copies, not images of data from the data partitions. Of course, any data stored in the documents and downloads etc. will be part of the OS images. Same for the Home folders in Linux.

Ted, KX4OM

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use the "Compress data" option, You have a better chance of recovery fail.

You can not get something for nothing, And can end up with nothing. :eek:

I missed the OP's details of OS and Hard drive type. Windows 10 is my guess. MS should have a backup on the cloud.

3. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

In my tower computers I simply install a second hard drive then set windows to automatically back up a disk image (of C) to the second drive on the 1st of every month. A couple weeks ago a hard drive failed and computer wouldn't boot. I installed a new hard drive and turned on the computer. It sees the new hard drive and asks if I'd like to restore from the latest image. Click yes and in about 30 minutes the computer is booted and waiting for me to log on. No problem at all - all programs, drivers, etc. are there and working just like they did before. The key is to have an image of the C: drive. Back ups to a network device or the cloud takes too long for me. A backup or restore to an internal hard drive takes only about 30 minutes.

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

20 years in the backup industry taught me a few things. I use Crashplan to backup my main system, it does so automatically and continuously, and gets the data offsite. This gives me web access to all my program data even if my hard drive, computer or house is no more. I also use Acronis to make image backups of all my machines, these are stored on a 18TB Synology NAS I have. Lastly, I send archive data (like my photos and videos) to Amazon Glacier for permanent, long term storage.

If you consider your data important and permanent, remember, hard drives are temporary. If the only copy is on a single HD, then it's not really important. "One is none"

WA9SVD likes this.
  5. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, if you have critical data then you need to consider backing it up off site. My main concern is getting my computer and programs up and running quickly in the event of the most likely occurrence - failure of the C drive. I do have a NAS drive where I manually back up any important data files - but it's way too slow to back up a complete disk image. The disk image has saved me several times, both at home and when I had a work computer. It's cheap insurance for the cost of a hard drive and the backup/restore software is supplied with Windows. It's not a matter of if your hard drive will fail - it's just a matter of when it will fail.

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

One could always back up to blu-ray discs: at 25GB/disk, they can store a lot of data and at less than a 50-cents/each, it's cheap insurance.

7. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Just a comment, the hard disk crash was a "Crash", the hard disk failed completely IOW, very little was recoverable.

Fortunately, I had multiple backups both on 2 external hard drives and also thumb drives for critical stuff.

And through exquisite timing, the day before the crash, I made multiple copies of my log, almost 50 years worth of contacts ! How's that for luck.

I have backups and also have an Acronis backup but also had difficulty with that.

Been a little more than a week, but I am slowly getting back to normal.

A few things still have me scratching my head but I'll figure it out, mostly drivers that need to be installed, not just copied over.

For those wondering, Win7 and Firefox.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is cool.

Some of our first backups at work were on VHS tape.

The data was wrote twice for redundancy.

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

While you can, this is a very time consuming process with lots to disk swaps IF you want to protect 500G or more. These days, you can buy 2TB HD's for $50 or so, buy a few and rotate.

Better yet, automatic backups run all the time to the cloud... I said I used Crashplan, but I switched to BlackBlaze about 2 years ago. Same idea, automatic backups that are off-site

10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

True. I guess it depends how much data you have and what works best for you. In my case, I have around 100GB of .mp3 files and about 50GB of data/document files, so aside from the apps and OS (OS-X) that can be re-downloaded easily, I don't have all that much to back up. Then again, a clean install doesn't hurt, either.

(The virtue of using Blu-Rays is that if I drop them, no big deal--drop a hard drive...well....)

Speaking of VHS tapes, I used to use them to record my music collection, instead of cassettes, because their higher recording speed offered better audio response. (It would've been better using my dad's Revox reel-to-reel tape deck but he didn't want to part with it; can't blame him!)